93 explorer dies when i put it in any gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 explorer dies when i put it in any gear

decotrain

Reaction score
City, State
minneapolis, mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eddie bauer
i have a 93 explorer with the A4LD automatic 4 speed transmission, never had any tranny problems until yesterday. i start it up and it idles kind of high, if i put it in any forward gear or reverse it dies. thought it may be the torque converter clutch solenoid, but recently found out it dosent have one. any help would be great.
thanks
jeremy

first we need to know if you have a stick or automatic...i am thinking since you have higher rpm's that it is an auto....i would first look for a vacuum hose leak from the motor to the tranny...it may be as simple as reconnecting the hose or replacing with new...i hope this helps...:D

Who told you the A4LD did not have a torque convertor solenoid? It does. TCC lockup is electronically controlled. Below 30 MPH or so, lockup is hydrulically overridden. A broken spring or stuck valve in the tc shuttle valve bore in the valve body will give you this symptom. Generally a failed TCC solenoid will not, due to the hydraulic over-ride.

Back