• Register Today It's free!

93 tranny issues

louisg

Reaction score
City, State
gainesville, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 93 xlt
I had 93 Ranger tranny rebuilt in 2000. Just recently, I haven't been able to put stick in first gear, without either shoving it HARD (not the best way), or sliding it into 3rd or 4th first, then back to 1st. If I go into first right after being in another gear- all is fine. The problem happens only after I push the clutch, and release the gear.

By chance (?), this started happening right after a rattling sound began when getting out of low RPMs. The rattling goes away when I put the clutch down. It doesn't sound like a metal-scraping rattling, but more like a tin/plastic rattling.

Any thoughts or ideas before I get rid of my beloved Ranger? I can't stomach having the tranny fixed again.

THANKS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first problem sounds like syncronizers. The second problem sounds like the throwout bearing. Dont take that for granted its just my opinion, the tranny guys will chime in. Welcome to the site to!

I have the same problem (as your 1st) with mine. I've read enough similar stories on this and other sites to be pretty sure it's the slave cylinder gone bad.
Try a search of this board for 'slave cylinder' and you should find many descriptions and discussions of the same symptoms you describe.

And, welcome to the site!!! :D

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know what specific areas to search under. I've spent a while checking out info about slave cylinders and throw out bearings. It sounds more hopeful than I thought. However, I know dropping and opening the tranny is a lot of $$$$ in labor.

Hmmm. My clutch was replaced in 2001, and I'm still having this problem. Does it seem shifty (no pun intended) that I'm having continued problems even after a rebuild and a new clutch?

I don't do much mechanical work. I'm learning the basics on my VW bus, but I'm just on wiring and interior for now. No mechanical yet. . .

I appreciate the direction.

Did they replace the slave cylinder when they did the clutch or did they just try to bleed it? They should of replaced the slave when they did the clutch

Yeah, it sounds like your slave cylinder is going bad. The same thing happned to mine. Mine got so bad I couldn't even start the truck while in gear. Replacing the slave/throwout bearing is something you can do your self if you dont want to spend the money on a shop doing it. Sounds pretty crappy that your having clutch problems this soon after getting a new one....sounds like they didn't put a new slave in, they usually last longer than a couple of years...

Good Luck
CP :D

Back