94 Re-SAS....leafs to links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Re-SAS....leafs to links

Figured I put up my build that's getting redone for 2012. Is a 94X that I SAS'd last year. Simple SOA in the back and a waggy 44 up front. I wanted to do way more but wanted to get wheeling more quickly. Unfortunately I was unhappy with going the simple route even before it was half done. Finally got it out for a shakedown run and the front leafs bagged out and I broke an axle shaft. Not to mention I turtled on the fuel tank which ended up breaking the supply at the top of the sending unit. It wasn't anything too major, but I was unhappy anyways, so it sealed the deal on it getting a total makeover.....again.

This time more along the ORIGINAL plans.....
  • dovetailed front
  • 4 link rear with a 14bff
  • 3 link front with a full width 79 F250 HP 44...until I find a 60
  • 37ish tires

Before I work on the front end I'll be making one BIG additional to my original plans and ditching the 4.slow with a SBC chebby. I'll be pulling the body at that time and will probably just do the front suspension at that time also.

The build is definitely on a budget since I have a wedding to pay for. I do have this summer off so I'll be able to work on it as much as the wallet allows but I might run out of time before I start work again.

Anyways....first thing I did was dovetail the front since I was waiting on some other stuff.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

Extended the fender 1.5"

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Then addressed the fuel tank issue. Stock tank location sucks and would have to move anyways with the 4 link. This is from an early 90's dakota. Is recessed into the back and basically sits flush with the bottom of the frame. Still have to put a shroud over the top of it. Good enough for now.

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

Bought these 16.5's for cheap

IMAG0275.jpg

Then started the 4 link. Had built the lower links for a previous Cherokee that I side-tabled a few years ago.

Am currently waiting on creepers to replace the polys

IMAG0088.jpg

Built the lower frame mount

Bottom
2012-07-033.jpg

2012-07-031.jpg

Upper mounts

2012-07-035.jpg

Wishbone

2012-07-042.jpg

General plans....body measurements ended up being about 1.5" higher than this

2012-07-034link.jpg

Floor cut

2012-07-049.jpg

Mocked in, bolts not tight AND truss not done. Upper creeper will go to double sheer. Coils are the rears from a Caprice shaggin wagon and are roughly mocked in and very much not finished. Will be held on both ends.

2012-07-043.jpg

2012-07-036.jpg

Have to burn these in and brace them. Had to get it driveable to move it to the big welder.

2012-07-046.jpg

So that's my progress as of right now......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might need to get some better boots.....it's starting to get deep.

Front will be getting a new frame with 4x2 3/16". Am going to widen it up just enough so long tube headers fit with the V8. Decided I'll probably go with an LT1 I've got since the distributor is in front instead of the back like a typical SBC. Hung the motor from a picker and it looks like it won't be too bad. Have to go get my tranny, transfer and HP D44 within the next week. By the time I get back my headers should be here.

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

Although i disagree with you making a little S-10 Blazer build out of this Xplorer it will be a cool build that i will be watching! But i have to ask! WHY??? why not go with ford 302 or even 351 and Ford axles? just curious? Nice work so far though i am impressed.

Why? Simply cost. And I'm not brand blind.....Had I found an S10 or dakota for how much I paid for this I'd be doing the exact same thing to that. The X is simply a body for some seats and a steering wheel. Its a crawler afterall and most stuff won't be stock anyways and the interior will get fairly gutted.

My driveline transplant choice is because I've acquired alot of Chevy stuff over the years. The donor LT1 motor came from a crashed Caprice wagon....cost...free. Well I ripped it apart to inspect and it's solid so I need new gaskets. Tranny/transfer I have nothing into and have spares. I have a 351M/C6/203 from a 79 F250 but I'd take EFI well before going backwards to a carb. Not to mention I'm familiar with TunerCat and tuning the LT1's. The front axle from that 250 is going under though. The 14bff is stupid cheap and easy to build/setup and detroits are cheaper....no reason to go searching for a sterling when I had 3 of the 14's laying around.

Is there going to be a problem of driveshaft contacting the lower link mount?
Like the rear truss, looks just like mine ha ha.

Shouldn't be. With the stock drivetrain it would. I'm banking on the 4l60e/241 being longer. It's not in the shop yet so I don't have measurements yet. Once I can bolt everything together I'll be able to place the assembly, lower the body, and start wiggling it around to clear everything. If I had to I'd notch that crossmember out with half a tube at an angle to make room. Surprisingly the LT1 is only about 2" longer than the 4.0 from the face of the front pulley to the trans mounting surface. LT1 is much more compact up front with the accessories.

MNguy said:
Why? Simply cost. And I'm not brand blind.....Had I found an S10 or dakota for how much I paid for this I'd be doing the exact same thing to that. The X is simply a body for some seats and a steering wheel. Its a crawler afterall and most stuff won't be stock anyways and the interior will get fairly gutted.

My driveline transplant choice is because I've acquired alot of Chevy stuff over the years. The donor LT1 motor came from a crashed Caprice wagon....cost...free. Well I ripped it apart to inspect and it's solid so I need new gaskets. Tranny/transfer I have nothing into and have spares. I have a 351M/C6/203 from a 79 F250 but I'd take EFI well before going backwards to a carb. Not to mention I'm familiar with TunerCat and tuning the LT1's. The front axle from that 250 is going under though. The 14bff is stupid cheap and easy to build/setup and detroits are cheaper....no reason to go searching for a sterling when I had 3 of the 14's laying around.

Enough said! I was just curious!

I'm curious to see how this is gonna turn out. This seems like a very impressive build, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back