• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt tranny problems

bauer91

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 eddiebauer,and 94 xlt
About three weeks ago while driving my ex, i would hear chirping noises coming from it when the engine was under load going up hills. Two days after the problem started i pulled into my driveway and tranny fluid poured out of the bell housing unit. I put in lucas, bars leaks, and valvoline hih milage stuff in it and it didnt leak no more. After driving it about 20 miles after that coming home the tranny started howling really bad and it started to slip. Does anybody know what could be wrong?, is it worth keeping the vehicle?

tranny

Sounds like your tranny is just going out. How many miles do you have on it? I also have a 94 and mine is getting rebuilt as we speak. Its costing 1200 for all the fixings. So i guess its up to you if you want to get ride of it, but who is going to buy a broken ex.

sounds like another A4LD tranny has gone out. A common happening. It is definately worth fixing because the EX is one of the most awesome vehicles on earth. Except for the automatic transmissions..... I know this doesn't help now but the manual tranny is much more reliable. If you really want to go all out and fix it the best you can, get a manual tranny from a deceased EX and put that in.

Back