'95 ex 4.0 won't start. Battery and Fuel good | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 ex 4.0 won't start. Battery and Fuel good

venom

Reaction score
City, State
Duncan, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Okay, My wife was sitting in the drivethrough at our local CVS when the motor sputtered and died. The motor cranks fine, and I have verified that it's not the fuel by spraying starter fluid in the intake after it sat for a couple of hours. I know not the smartest thing, but seemed like an easy way to eliminate the fuel system in the parking lot. Is there a comon thing that would cause this? I have not pulled any plugs to verify spark. Is it common for the coil pack to go out? Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crank sensor maybe... knowing if there was spark would be a good start.

Any other way to verify spark aside from pulling the plugs and grounding it? I'm working alone.

Place a plug wire in a postion where you can reach into the window to crank the engine and look under the hood at the same time.

venom said:
Any other way to verify spark aside from pulling the plugs and grounding it? I'm working alone.
I've used a timing light to verify spark. Hook it up, route the wires so they don't get tangled in anything, set the light where you can see it from the driver's seat, and wee if it flashes while you try to start it.
The motor cranks fine, and I have verified that it's not the fuel by spraying starter fluid in the intake after it sat for a couple of hours.
Is that all you did to verify that it's getting fuel? If so, it's my opinion that you haven't shown that the fuel system is working. It's true that, if it starts on starter fluid that you strongly suspect a problem in the fuel system. But, a no start on starter fluid doesn't prove that it is getting fuel. The reason I bring this up is there are some faults (bad EEC relay comes quickly to mind) that can cause both no fuel and no spark. While you are checking for spark, can you hear the fuel pump run? If you can, check the the fuel pressure.

I can her the pump engage when I turn the key, but I have not put a gage on it. I got it home tonight so I'll know more tomorrow. I will also have an extra set of hands to be able to check more. Thanks for all the advice!!!

spraying starting fluid verifies spark is GOOD!!! means you have a fuel problem....

did you check the reset switch under the passenger side dashboard? The switch suppose to cut off fuel when vehicle bump or in accident. Just my 2 cents....

I checked the switch, and it's done. I did verify that I wasn't getting any fuel. Now it's down to the pump, which sounds like it's coming on, and the filter. I think I'm going to replace the filter and while it's out see if the pump is still pumping. Thanks for all the help / input. I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise.

Back