• Register Today It's free!

98 Exporer Dead! Won't Start

Rob89434

Reaction score
City, State
Reno,NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hello, All. I'm a new poster and need some help. I have a 98 Explorer 4L SOHC with almost 150k on it. I was driving it when it seemed to loose power. There was no response from the gas pedal so I pulled over. It died and I haven’t been able to get it to start since. I have a CEL light on when the key is on, there are no codes, and I have 35psi of fuel pressure at the rail, and I’ve checked for spark and there is spark. When you crank it you can smell fuel in the exhaust pipe. So for fear of a hydraulic lock I pulled the fuel pump replay and held the pedal down while cranking. It sputters but never really fires while doing that. Once the fuel pressure bleeds down it just cranks. I would appreciate any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your crank angle sensor it may be bad or blocked by debris.

I can see it and it looks clean, but maybe I should replace it. That was the first thing that came to mind but I spoke to a friend that talked me out of it.

I can see it and it looks clean, but maybe I should replace it. That was the first thing that came to mind but I spoke to a friend that talked me out of it.
Check the CKP wiring integrity as well. Make sure there is continuity to the PCM.

when it died did the power steering and breaks die?

I replaced the Crank Sensor with no luck. It was worth a try for $15. As far as I can remember the steering was fine till I let of the gas to pull over and then I did loose the power. I don't remember how the brakes were. I was coasting so I could get over to the curb. I will have to check the wiring diagram for the wire going back to the PCM. I also pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it with pedal to the floor and it still did the wanting to start thing and acts like it is out of timing.

it sounds alot like something that happened to me way before i knew anything about cars they said that there was like some switch or something that can sometimes switch itself off but i honestly dont remember what it was

I've got to get the specs out and look...but I think 35 psi is VERY low for a SOHC. I'll look it up and get back here.

I have the pressure for a 99 SOHC at 65 psi +- 8 psi. Anyone else confirm this? I have another source to check, but it will be a bit before I can get to it.

I have the pressure for a 99 SOHC at 65 psi +- 8 psi. Anyone else confirm this? I have another source to check, but it will be a bit before I can get to it.

35# is correct for his 98 according the the FSM. Ex's were still return systems.

Is the Check Engine light going out during cranking?

Didn't poster Aldive have this issue and it was crank position sensor wiring, I think he also has a 98? That thread has every possible check for a no start. Turned out to be crank pos wires.

The other thing is a base engine problem(like jumping time)...Did you ever have any noise from this engine? This engine has major issues with the cam tensioners.

The check engine light does go out while cranking. So from what I've been told it shouldn't be an issue with the Crank Sensor. I did have the timing chain tensioners repaired last year along with the intake gasket.

1999 is returnless all right. I don't have the 98 manuals with me. I assumed they were returnless as I thought that was the first year. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I don't know the likelihood, but the exact same thing happened to me in my mom's old '96 taurus. The auto tranny was dead. Just a thought.

could be something with the PCM. try disconnecting the battery for about a half hour to let the car reset it self. i know it sounds funny but that can fix a lot of things. thats how my 4wd auto corrected itself back when i first bought the car. if not that then check the crank position sensor cuz that caused my brothers car not to start before.

I have had two different starting problems with my 98

First there was the timing chain tensioner, $$$$$, there are four of these on a SOHC and my scenario was EXACTLY like yours

Second issue was the factory theft system, not as much $$$$$, in this case the theft light flashed rapidly as I tried to turn it over

I had a CEL on the way home from fishing yesterday. I pulled the pos at the battery and cleaned the MAS. Put the mas back and it wouldnt fire! took the MAS back out and blew on it put it back and it started! Also cleared the CEL. the reason I checked the Mas was because I just got back from Oregon and their gas is different from ours, and its been awhile since I cleaned the K$N filter. Hopes this helps, Bill

For all of you looking at this posts for answers I have an update. I took my Explorer to Jones West Ford in Reno. They told me I needed a new engine due to low compression. I towed it to my brother in-law that was laid off and looking for something to mess with. It had low compression on the passanger side only. Since it has overhead cams there are multiple timing chains. He opened it up and found the tensioner for the passanger side was broken and allowed the engine to go out of time. He was able to do the repairs and now I'm driving it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For all of you looking at this posts for answers I have an update. I took my Explorer to Jones West Ford in Reno. They told me I needed a new engine due to low compression. I towed it to my brother in-law that was laid off and looking for something to mess with. It had low compression on the passanger side only. Since it has overhead cams there are multiple timing chains. He opened it up and found the tensioner for the passanger side was broken and allowed the engine to go out of time. He was able to do the repairs and now I'm driving it.

woo hoo, that means i almost kinda not really called it then

Back