'95 Ex only moves when manually put in 1st or 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 Ex only moves when manually put in 1st or 2nd

merc80

Reaction score
City, State
Middle TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 2wd
My wife's '95 Explorer XLT, 2wd, 4.0L, automatic transmission will only move when manually put into first or second gear. I hear a slight rattling type noise when I put it in reverse or drive, and the truck will not move.

The problem started when she left work today. She pulled out of the parking lot with no problems. She got about 1/8 of a mile down the road and she heard a noise and was unable to accelerate. She says she was able to maintain her speed, but it wouldn't go any faster and she thought that something just didn't "feel right." She pulls into a parking lot and stops, and was then unable to move the vehicle anymore with the tranny in drive. However, when she manually shifted to second gear it worked fine. She drove back to work in second and asked me to look at it (we work together).

I checked the fluid, and it's slightly high with a reddish-pink color to it. The truck has a little under 300k on the odometer and has had two tranny rebuilds in it's lifetime, most recently about 18 months ago. It seems to drive normally in first or second gear so I have a little bit of hope that it won't need a total rebuild. We left it in the parking lot at work for the night because I don't know if it would cause further damage trying to drive the 25+ miles home.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back