97 Explorer Passenger Window Rolls Down, But Not Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Passenger Window Rolls Down, But Not Up

ring21

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
My 97's front passenger window will not roll up. Neither the passenger or driver side switches work. But the window will roll down with both switches. All other windows work.

If there is no easy solution, is there a way to force the window up? I'm more worried about my car getting broken into than if the window works.
And yes the window lock was off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I chased this problem on my prior '95 Explorer replacing door switches and relays. Still couldn't resolve it until I finally bypassed everything and ran a wire from a hot lead under the hood directly to the switch. But, to answer your question regarding getting the window back up in the meantime, you're going to need to pull the door panel off and run a temporary hot lead from, say, your battery directly to the window motor...or, splice into the wires leading to the motor to activate it (can't remember which color wire activates the UP position) and hopefully, it will at least go back up.

Look for a broken wire in the driver's door wiring bundle - right front up window control is on tan/light blue wire. Here is a great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.
Good luck.

And check the main door wiring connector, I had same issue and fixed it by just unplugging and plugging back in the main connector in the hinge area.

I had a broken wire at the door loom, the part that twists every time you open the door.

Back