97 Explorer Radio problem

AKjohn78

Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT, 93 XL
:fire:
I have been trying to replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket Sony head unit. I hook up the Sony in my other FORD vehicle and it works fine but as soon as I hook it up in my Explorer it will not produce any sound. I believe my factory unit is the premium? system. It does not have a cd player but has a cassette player. I have hooked up numerous cd players in numerous vehicles but this one has me flat out puzzled. Any help would be greatly appreciated....it's my wifes explorer!!:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford likes to change around all its wiring for speakers and such (To prevent aftermarket parts). You may have to run new speaker wires from all your speakers, its what I had to do.

To do this easiest I found what wires were coming straight out of the doors into the inside and I tested them to make sure they were the speaker wires with a ohm meter. After I found them on the inside of the truck door I cut them and connected new wires to them and ran them straight back to the deck. It takes time but its worth it.

I would rather not have to rerun all the wires to the speakers. That is a pain in the butt! I tried the stereo harness adapters from the popular manufacturers and none of them worked. PLEASE HELP!!

Maybe a,p bypass harness

I had a 95 explorer and it required an amp bypass harness that would allow the aftermarket headunit to connect to the speakers.

Without it, no sound from the speakers.

requires the harness and some removal of the right rear cargo area side panel.

allows you to use all factory harnesses and no cutting of splicing of factory wires.

Thanks GVSS! You wouldn't happen to know where I could pick up a bypass harness would you?:D

Back