Solved - '97 OHV- Missing and Fuel in Head | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved '97 OHV- Missing and Fuel in Head

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
OP - I'm glad you got your issue fixed, but I've followed this thread (and admittedly don't know anything about the OHV V6 engine) but there's a statement I just don't understand, "I noticed a large amount of fuel in the bank 2 side when I removed the valve cover". What exactly does this mean? Were you talking about excess fuel in the intake port(s) on the driver's side head? It sounded like you you were saying you removed the valve cover and were finding gasoline on top of the head. If so I don't know how this would be possible. Am I missing something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OP - I'm glad you got your issue fixed, but I've followed this thread (and admittedly don't know anything about the OHV V6 engine) but there's a statement I just don't understand, "I noticed a large amount of fuel in the bank 2 side when I removed the valve cover". What exactly does this mean? Were you talking about excess fuel in the intake port(s) on the driver's side head? It sounded like you you were saying you removed the valve cover and were finding gasoline on top of the head. If so I don't know how this would be possible. Am I missing something?

Probably just me not really knowing the insides of an engine very well. When I said " I noticed a large amount of fuel in the bank 2 side when I removed the valve cover" I referring to the excess fuel that I saw when I took off the drivers' side valve cover. The wetness from the gas can be seen in the image I uploaded earlier. Are cylinders 4,5 & 6 not referred to as "Bank 2"? And what would be the appropriate way to describe that area directly underneath the valve cover? I thought it was just the top of the head.

Under the valve cover is the top of the head. Not sure which is bank two. It entered through an open valve I assume, after it flooded the cylinder.

How much oil came out of it?

Probably just me not really knowing the insides of an engine very well. When I said " I noticed a large amount of fuel in the bank 2 side when I removed the valve cover" I referring to the excess fuel that I saw when I took off the drivers' side valve cover. The wetness from the gas can be seen in the image I uploaded earlier. Are cylinders 4,5 & 6 not referred to as "Bank 2"? And what would be the appropriate way to describe that area directly underneath the valve cover? I thought it was just the top of the head.

Yes, Bank 2 is cylinders 4, 5 & 6. When you remove a valve cover on an OHV engine you're looking at the valve springs and tappets/rocker arms, push rods and valve springs. You'll typically see some engine oil puddled on the top of the head, but the only place you could see fuel is down inside the intake ports with the intake manifold removed. That would have nothing to do with removing the valve cover, and yes I saw your photo.

Under the valve cover is the top of the head. Not sure which is bank two. It entered through an open valve I assume, after it flooded the cylinder.

How much oil came out of it?

I always put 4 quarts of oil when not replacing the filter, and about that much game out. Pissed me off because I had just shelled out and bought that expensive Magnatech oil, but put more once i replaced it. The science behind its better protection seems sound so I've been using it. And yeah, that's the only way I can imagine gasoline getting into the top of the head. Would that much gasoline cause the cylinder not to fire? That would explain how so much got into the head and why the intake runner of the cylinder with the faulty injector was perfectly clean. Might try running Seafoam through it after all this, it caused a lot of black buildup. I had the idea of sticking the vacuum line from the brake booster into a can of seafoam and giving it throttle for a while before doing the usual seafoam treatment- good idea or nah?

koda2000, it did have to do with removing the valve cover. I am absolutely positive that was gasoline on top of the head- it literally poured out once I broke the gasket seal. It must have gotten up there after flooding the misfiring cylinder, as Mbrooks stated.

A stuck open injector could immediately flood a spark plug and keep it from firing.

Just for future reference if others see this thread: bad PCMs can hold injectors open. There is a transistor driver that shorts out. Not the most common thing but it will cause the same symptom as the OP. That is why a noid light is important.

Back