• Register Today It's free!

97 sport A/c problem

strongworx

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97` sport 4.0 OHV
A/C clutch kicks on and off when revving in park or accelerating in gear but works at idle or park/idle.I recharged the refrigerant(3/4 can) and no change.It also did this when I lived in colder temps with the heat on.(why would the A/C compressor be on while heat is on anyway?)Please give me some idea where to start.I can fix anything with some guidance.Thanks Folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused on what the issue is? The clutch is supposed to kick on and off if it is working properly. And it will be on when the position selector is in any selection except just vent or just floor. Bi-Level will have the compressor running. It was designed to be this way to help ensure the humidity in the car doesn't fog the windows.

It is going on and off every 8-15 seconds.Should I run a uv leak kit through it?It is showing about 60 degrees when ambient is about 78-80.The book(haynes)claims it should be somewhere around 35-40 below ambient.Thanks for the reply.

You could run the leak kit if it appears that it is loosing refridgerant. My compressor cycles about that often as well, but I have not had any issues with not having cold air. Maybe another portion of the system is not operating properly?

someone else said its the accumulator.They rust out.They said it will be full of black sludge.The thing is cycling every 5 secs it seems now.I didnt used to so something must be wrong.It also is not nearly as cold.Im afraid to keep running it and burning up either the clutch,compressor or both.I have never replaced an accumulator but they are 33 bucks at napa.Maybe I should give it a shot?That and some new refrigerant?I`m all ears.Thanks for the input!

Back