algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
like the title says i got new stuff in

0 Gauge wire/ 18 ft/ 36 bucks

100_0596.jpg

100_0586.jpg

100_0585.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

relay

the 200 amp relay 50 bucks

100_0592.jpg

100_0593.jpg

100_0594.jpg

Misc.

and 0 gauge grommet, battery terminal and wire ends

100_0590.jpg

100_0588.jpg

100_0587.jpg

id ditch those mechanical lugs...theyre junk and are a weak link in the system.

get copper crimp or solder lugs

im installing a secondary battery, but now that i am thinking of it, there are a few things that i didnt put into the equation before i bought this stuff. i want to be able to play my stereo without worry of not being able to start my car, but how am i going to power my headunit and turn it on without turning on the main battery. this is one of the things i forgot to factor in

Battery Isolator

Install a battery isolator, and power the stereo from the aux battery only. Don't cross any wires with anything on the starting battery. Use a relay and a dash mounted switch to turn the stereo on. A DPST (double pull, single throw) switch will let you take power (to turn the relay on) from two sources. One of them can be on all the time, the other can be switched through the ignition.
In other words, switch can be setup as;
Position 1 - On all the time
Position 2 - Off
Position 3 - On with ignition
If you need some help with relays, check this webiste out - http://ovo.ca/wiring/wiring.html
And good god, focus those pictures next time, lol :p:

thanks for your help, the thing with my camera is that its one of those that picks out what it thinks is the subject of the picture, and focuses on it, soo...

and when wiring the switch, should i be looking for one that can be wire d where when the switch is up, its on constant, in the middle its off, and on the bottom on ignition?

do i need 2 relays, one for the ignition position (lol it rymes) and one for the constant position?

sorry for all these questions, ive only worked with small electronics, nothing involving high current, and low current switches, and relays.

Back