98 Ford Explorer 4 by 4 prbloems, I need some help, please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Ford Explorer 4 by 4 prbloems, I need some help, please!

JJF

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Region, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
98 Ford Explorer 4 by 4 problems, I need some help, please!

Can someone help me?

I own a 98 Ford Explorer Sport 4 by 4 with 80000km. I have both flashing hi and low 4 by 4 lights on the dashboard every 2 minutes. They both flash 5 times simultaneously.

I brought my truck to the dealer and they ran the computer tests on my truck. They told me that it reset and everything was running fine. Now the sequence of lights flashing has returned and my 4 by 4 will not engage.

Is this common? Is it a sensor problem? Where should I get this fixed. It is obivous the dealer does not know what the problem is. Any suggestions?

sounds like it maybe the GEM module in the rear left panel of your truck..... i htink it is a fairly common thing that these go bad......... Welcome to the site

I have seen some posts here that cleaning the speed sensors may help for this problem. There is a front and a rear driveshaft speed sensor mounted to the rear side of the transfer case. You can unbolt one bolt and the sensor slips out of a hole in the case. If they have metal debris on them, it may interfere with how they pickup the signal from the driveshaft(s).

If they are dirty, you probably want to change out the t-case fluid also. It takes ATF, not gear oil.

There are other reasons the lights could be flashing also, they should be able to scan for the exact cause at the dealer or a independent shop with a scanner that can read Ford codes.

Thread with some other links

Mine was flashing on my 97

when I bought it. It also felt a little funky. Drained the transfer case and found I only had like a pint of real nasty fluid. Should be 1 1/2 quarts. Refilled it and cleared computer by disconnecting battery. Haven't had a problem for 30K. Incidently, previous owner had just installed a brand new shift motor assembly trying to get it to work.

Back