'98 sport ignition and steering frozen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 sport ignition and steering frozen

leisa

Reaction score
City, State
mendocino, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sport
...hello!...first post and its a head scratcher...went to start my '98 sport (frontwheel drive)..put key in ignition and it won't turn...like its frozen...same with locked steering column and gearshift...tried rocking car to unlock steering column (if it was a stuck pin) with no luck...could it be tumbler in ignition?...or does it have something to do with keyless entry?...remote key will lock and unlock all car doors except for drivers side...i have to lock it manually...also, does anyone know about an ignition recall on this model?...nearest ford dealer repair shop is an hour tow over the mountain...appreciate any and all opinions/advice...thanks!...leisa in mendocino

Did you try turning the wheel back and forth as you try to turn the key in the ignition? Or is that what you mean by 'rocking the car'?

...yep...we wriggled the steering wheel back and forth till our teeth rattled...the car was parked with the tires straight so that does not seem to be it...still would not move out of park and the key still won't turn in the ignition...should i try disconnecting the neg wires on the battery for half and hour or so to clear the computer/keyless entry?...i read about that in another post...also, would a locksmith be able to check the tumbler on the ignition or does a ford mechanic have to do that?...

Is it parked on a hill. Have someone rock the truck back and forth while you try turning wheel and key.

Back