• Register Today It's free!

99 expedition help

Troy Murphy

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 expedition
I have a 99 expedition I got on a trade and it ran fine all last summer and over the winter I would start it like every other day well it was basically outta gas but I keep starting it and this summer so I put a 1/4 of a tank in it and now I'm trying to start it to get it on the road and it wouldn't start so I charged the battery and stuff and still nothin but if u shoot starting fluid in it it will start for litterly 2secs then it dies even if u pump on the gas it wont even rev up any like its instantly dead bc of the starting fluid burning out...I had my father in law come.over and listen and he said he believes he heard the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key but ain't 100% sure...is there a trick to test the pump or have any ideas yall have that I can try to get it on the road like asap
Thanx for any advice

I’d swap the relays around under the hood, to rule that out. You can usually test for pressure at the fuel rail with a cheap gauge. Barring that you can pull a line off the filter and bump the key.

I have tried the relays and put new in even...I'll have 2 try that thank u

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. You can always try changing your fuel filter and if that doesn't work then I'd say the pump is your next bet.

Back