Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

progress pics

enginecage1.jpg

enginecage2.jpg

enginecage3.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks good, i didn't realize you had to notch the frame that much.

ummm i hope that steering "stud" is not the final design or is it ?

...:shifty_ey...Spycam shots..:p:

...I caught someone playing hookie today and they were going all crazy with a sawsall and grinder...:hammer:

build_1_.jpg

build_2_.jpg

Now is there anyparts of that engine cage that is unboltable... or is there another way to pull the motor out, if you ever have too??

Well, hopefully you won't ever need to pull out anything...
Everything looks good though

nothing is removable right now. the middle cross tubes would have to be cut out and redone. no biggie really.
That really wouldnt be a big deal... they look easy to get to.

Why would need to remove the engine for? 4.0's run forever right? :p: :D

looks like things are coming along nicely tho

I was just saying Hopefully he doesn't EVER have pull anything out of that crazy cage...

theres plenty of room to remove anything once those 2 bars are removed, this is a race truck that will see punishing terrian and abuse. id rather have the full strength of solid tubes then compromise that to make them removable.

theres plenty of room to remove anything once those 2 bars are removed, this is a race truck that will see punishing terrian and abuse. id rather have the full strength of solid tubes then compromise that to make them removable.

makes sense :thumbsup: cant wait to see this thing finished!

Back