99 Mountaineer Front Driveshaft Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Mountaineer Front Driveshaft Problems

TerrenceU

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I was wondering if anyone knew... I have a 1999 Mountaineer that I have inner race problems on the front drive shaft on the CV joint. I pulled the drive shaft out of the canister attached to the transfer case and notice my problem was the boot had deteriorated which allowed the grease to come out and get dirt and sand in the canister. The ball berrings are fine and so are the canister. All i see i would need to do is clean the grase out, replace the grease and install a new boot. Problem is, I cannot find a replacement boot anywhere. Is it possible to get a replacement and where from? Or is this even a good idea to do this instead of buying a new driveshaft? Im really trying to get around having to buy a driveshaft if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you destroyed your driveshaft. You should not be able to see the ball bearings. This is how it should have came out (after you removed the 6 long small bolts that hold it to the transfer case):

ds.jpg

ds_ball.jpg

ds_boot.jpg

welcome terrance

That is how it looked when i pulled it out but i pulled the bolts on the canister to pull the bearings and the berrings and canister are fine. All it seems i would need is the seal. Is it possible to get that?

Someone on here posted a link to a CV rebuild kit for it not too long ago... try the Trans and t-cases forum on here... I didn't bookmark it.

Back