a/c controls are jacked up....HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a/c controls are jacked up....HELP

steinm10

Reaction score
City, State
Warren, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Last week I had my air running on high and decided to turn it down a notch, and that was the end of it. For some reason my a/c, heat, defrost, whatever is on, only works on high. Anybody have ANY ideas what could be wrong with this. It's really annoying only having one setting and having it blow at full blast. HELP HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check out the fan speed control circut. Maybe a blower motor resistor? I'd also try to figure out why that resistor burnt out too if that is the problem.

My dad works at Fords and he was asking around and one engineer suggested it might be a fuse. There are two fuse locations, one next to the instrument panel and one in engine compartment. Since the "HIGH" setting on the fan control is high voltage it might come from the engine fuse panel, but the lower settings are lower voltage and could possibly come from the instrument panel fuse box. Could that be a possibility??

Agree with the RAT..fan resistor,possible it is the switch itself but doubtful as they are well built.

Agree with the RAT..fan resistor,possible it is the switch itself, but doubtful , as they are well built.

alright.....I just hooked up a bulb and connected it to the blower motor plug and it worked only when I turned it unit to HIGH. That led me to beleive it was in the switch so I checked the fuse in the fuse box and everything was fine. What to do???

This really does sound like the fan resistor which is next to the fan motor under the hood. You can test it with your light and see.

It ended up being the connection to the resistor. I wiggeled it around a little bit and tried it just to see what would happen...and it worked...thanks guys for the help!!!

Guys...I need help!!!

I'm glad I searched and I'm not the only one that has this problem. Anyways...a week after my blend door is fixed (free fix is awesome!!!), the blower motor decided that it would only blow when the fan speed knob is at the highest position while nothing happens in Automatic function or any other positions at the fan speed knob.

So...I'm guessing it's the resister. Where is it located specifically?? I really don't know. Thanks for helping out!!! :)

Anyone?? :(

Howard, thank you. But where's the blower motor? Is it at the passenger side or the driver's side?

thanks Howard, i found the drum and replaced my heater core $19.95 for the core, 20 mins later, we've got heat!:fire: i know its only 50 here but it is still nice to have.

next i did to know is there a difference between a "blower motor resistor"and"blower resistor"
it will help if you have a copy of the 1991 thru 2001 Haynes repair manual page 3-10 "pics 13.8 and 12.13"

which one will i did the replace to get variable speed air and heat?? not just high?:D :D :D

thanks

Pay attention, you EATC equipped Explorers

So I went to the dealer 2 days ago and bought the resistor. Brought it home that evening and took it out. The plugs didn't match up plus that thing wouldn't fit in there so I took it back yesterday. I told them it didn't fit and they found out that since I have the EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control), it wasn't a resistor, but it was a "control unit". So instead of paying $15 for a simple resistor, I paid $120 for the "control unit". And since Ford revised it since the parts dude said that it's a fairly common problem, Ford also supplied a new plug for the unit. The new unit has a much beefier heat sink. It's awesome!!! But anyways, this took me about half an hour to clip and splice the new plug in and test it out. I get low and medium blower speed again!!!

Here's a pic of the little f***er I pulled out.

blower.jpg

Nice description of the problem "'96explorereddiebauer". My blower motor is stuck on "HI" and won't shut off unless I turn off the ignition or pull the blower motor fuse. I'm gonna try this and I'll post a reply soon.

This site is great!!! Soon to be elite....01'Eddie w/EATC&5.0.

Welcome and good luck!!! Report back to us once you get it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.....after a 20minute install it worked on my 01 Eddie with EATC. The blower control (XL2H-19E624-AB) needed to be replaced. I brought the old one in and the ford dealer new exactly what it was and stated that this was the third one ordered this past week. Thanks "96explorereddiebauer"

BTW--If anyone has to replace just the controller, I paid 69$ for it. The cable harness isn't needed for a direct replacement but if you do need it the harness is an extra 44$.

Back