• Register Today It's free!

A Different Kind Of Start Problem

FlyNavy

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport - Eco
We've had our 2012 Explorer since October. Today my wife remote started it, but after she buckled in the kids and got in the driver's seat, the brake pedal appeared to be in a "forward" position...as if it was being depressed. Anyway, she put her foot on the brake and pressed the start button. The warning light came on telling her "no key detected". She hit ok, tried to start again (meanwhile, it's still running from the remote start)...same message. After one more reset and reattempt to start, an "internal" alarm started going off. She was able to shut the car off. But it took 4 more tries using the normal start method to actually get the vehicle started.
The next 3 times she had driven today it worked 4.0 (as it should).
Anyone else have this problem? Was it a one time thing and you haven't experienced it since? If you brought it in for service, what was the diagnosis?

I have had weird things happen also.
I did figure out why.....
If I had my cell phone (iPhone 4) in the same pocket as my fob, I would get the "key not found" message, and the doors would not automatically unlock when I tried to open them. By keeping my cell in a different pocket, I have no troubles.
Maybe your wife has a phone in her purse that interferes with the fob.

Back