A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Very nice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very interested in this. I will ask the company who is doing my reman tranny (Roadmaster Transmissions) if they will OK this for me. They are a very reputable ATRA shop out of the Chicago area. They probably won't have a problem with it if I sign something saying that the 2 year warranty doesn't apply to problems due to this particular solonoid.

I will have a reman tranny with VB updates and all new solonoids (and a newly designed EPC solonoid...) Whoohoo!!! I going to be a very happy man when I get this thing installed.

I will let you know if the shop OKs the re-designed and improved solonoid for testing in my case.

Although...kinda weird---I asked them if I could just fill it with dextron/mercon and lubegard green VS mercon V. Here was their reply:

"We do not believe in the lubegard additive, because Mercon V is synthetic
and the dexron / mercon is a mineral base oil.

There is no way to do a conversion and we believe in synthetic

Mercon V is what we use"

So, we'll see. Even though lubegard is sold by their shop and the lubegard site has tested it thoroughly. This shop might be a little hesitant to let me try the "latest and greatest". All I can do is hope...

-Bill in PA

I fully agree with what they are saying about Merc V versus Merc III with Lubegard. That is a quality answer.

Adding lubegard to Merc III gives you a dino or non syn based fluid, instead of the semi synthetic that Merc V is. Plus it costs them MORE to do it that way. If they have questions I will be happy to try and answer them. Or you can PM me for what to tell them.

There is a Lubegard additive for the Mercon III, and a different one for Mercon V. I have the additive for my Mercon III, I want to change my fluid within six months, so I saved a few dollars. I like the Lubegard products, their power steering additive is very good also. Regards,

Ok... I just cannot constrain myself. I HAVE to post a couple graphs.... been too long.... my graph posting finger is itchy...

Allbert sent this graphical superimposition of the 5R55E modulated valve performing overlaid on the "new design - old style" EPC being proposed.... Ya know how I say that the EPC's modulation is a killer for it? This puts it in perspective. Which one would you prefer in your tranny?

file0001.jpg

Now I hope Allbert can better explain that graph for us all... but I think I get it. Also, for those techies amongst us, here is a graph of output pressures versus applied amperage for the 5R5E EPC... interesting stuff.

Outlook1.jpg

This is for Dogfriend.

Has anyone been noticing that the general level of transmission discussion here and the number of very knowledgeable folks able to help and discuss keeps going up and up since this forum started ?

I get the first graph - the "new" design is very stable compared to the "old" (Bosch) design.

The second graph I don't get - either some of the colors of the traces are not showing up or ? - I only see the trace color for the Bosch average :confused:

The 2nd is just the Bosch.... but gives you an idea what the computer applies current wise when it commands a certain pressure. I have never seen this anywhere.

I would say that this new design might not blow out the gaskets so fast like the old design. They are usually blown out in the corner where the EPC solenoid is located (at least this is what I think from reading all of these threads on blown gaskets, and shift flare issues).

Another thing I was curious about in the second graph is that it mentions that this test was performed at 292 Hz. That is within the audio range of most people, and should be heard as a low hum, or vibration. This vibration might contribute to the loose VB bolt issue. What is the minimum, and maximum Hertz range, and duty cycle with current rating on the new, and old EPC solenoid?

Excellent (as usual) questions BB, but I cannot answer those, maybe Allbert can.

I will offer this thought, there is a TSB out for a buzzing sep plate... maybe it is resonating that frequency somehow.

I will also assume the "new" design does not modulate like the old (or at least respond to a modulated signal similarly anyway)..... be curious to find out.

A new design sep plate as I recall.

No idea. (I think you meant to say no EPC buzz (vibration).)

The 2nd is just the Bosch.... but gives you an idea what the computer applies current wise when it commands a certain pressure. I have never seen this anywhere.

Oh, I was thinking that it was supposed to compare the two designs. It is basically showing that Pressure is inversely proportional to Current applied. If it were perfect, it would be a straight line. What is the significance of the two curves (uncertainty?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back