A/T shift indicator showing incorrect gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/T shift indicator showing incorrect gear?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
Here's a fix. (Mine's a '99. Your's may be different..:rolleyes:)
One day after going over a particularly brutal pothole (Washington DC's finest roads) I noticed that my indicator said that I was in "2" instead of "D".
So I shifted into "D" and had no power at all. I figured that my tranny had finally given up & in a big way.
After going thru the gears, I noticed that I did have engagement, and actually it was the shift indicator that was off one position to the right.
Turns out that there's a small white plastic retaining clip that holds an adjuster wheel under the dash. This wheel adjusts the shift indicator cable, which in turn moves the little red indicator. The white retaining clip had broken, and the spring-loaded cable had more slack in it that normal.
This clip is accessible from under the dash. No need to remove the gauge cluster or the surround. You only need to remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel (has the indents for the parking brake, OBDII plug and the hood release.
After removing that, you'll need to remove a metal 'collision panel' that protects your knees if you run into something hard, like a stopped car in front of you.
After that panel is removed look for the white retainer, the black wheel and the indicator cable.
Two cable ties run criss-cross will hold the clip together and put the wheel back to where it should be.
180k on this truck, and this is the only type of problems that I've had. I'll take that anyday. What a vehicle!

The first (out of focus) shows the broken piece next to the wheel.
The second picture (out of focus) shows the cable tie fix. The last pic. shows the view up from the floor (before the fix.

Attachments

• Shift cable 005.jpg
    Shift cable 005.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,363
  • Shift cable 009.jpg
    Shift cable 009.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,293
  • Shift cable 002.jpg
    Shift cable 002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,213

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HUM! Thanks for the Info.. MY daughter took my wife truck and came back with dirty tires (I was just going down a drive way!).. and the shift indacator was off... I bet she found a POT_HOLE Too..... I am going to fix the truck.

the retaining clip on my Explorer has broken completely, any suggestions?

Does anyone know if this might be the cause of my Shift Indicator suddenly going to "L" on my 1997 Ford Explorer Sport???? it has been on "L" since Saturday morning, and hasn't moved.....
Has anyone ever seen a broken cable? or just the broken clip?

My white cable retaining clip is broken however Advance auto has this part available in Dorman.
Click here for Google search results Dorman 83244
Added-I just realized that was a 2010 post but I bet that many have broke since then.

I have used two zip ties a time or two to retain the broken white clip so the indicator would still function properly. Glad to see Dorman makes a part! Useful post!

I have used two zip ties a time or two to retain the broken white clip so the indicator would still function properly. Glad to see Dorman makes a part! Useful post!
Me too!

Back