Shift indicator? (dunno what this is called) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift indicator? (dunno what this is called)

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Hi again!

Alrighty, so, the gear indicator deal in the cluster was off, with the needle between D and 2 when in Drive.

When I had everything pulled apart, trying to figure out how to adjust it, I discovered that the plasticky bracket deal that the adjustment thumbwheel is housed in was broken. I idiot-engineered it with a zip-tie, and that mostly works (it's indicating more on the actual position now), but I still want to replace the whole cable with a new one that actually works.

What exactly is this cable called, and is there a good write-up here on how to replace this? My search-fu is seriously weak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure ifyou will find a detailed write up.
Your absolute best bet is to visit a junk yard

You have to drop the entire steering column to get access, you are going to need the whole shifter assembly I believe...not sure you can just get the part for the shift indicator adjuster or not, been a while since I was under my dash.

basically you remove the pull handle for the hood, remove the OBD-II port, remove the screws on the plastic shroud (knee guard) then remove the metal knee guard behind it (bunch of 8mm screws here) then you will see the steering column assembly held in place by 4 ea 13mm bolts, drop that down and you can unbolt the shifter doo dad, unhook the cable from the transmission grab the whole thing from the junk yard for cheap! I have seen a few OD buttons quit working and broken column shifters on these trucks so its a great idea to have a spare shifter assembly in on the shelf

Good luck! Try searching for shift position indicator, column shifter, etc

You might try asking about the "pernundle" (PRNDL). For some reason, every mechanic I have ever talked to knows what that means!

I got one from the junkyard today. I pulled mine from a late 90's mazda pickup. I am fortunate enough to get to go out into the junkyard and pull my own parts, which means they are either free or less expensive.
I wished a knew the name of the part but I don't. Be sure to have all those little sockets like the 8mm, 7mm and 5.5 mm and a flat head screwdiver.
It takes the 5.5 mm socket or a small torque bit to take the clear plastic off of the front of the instrument panel. Once you get that loose you can gently push a flathead screwdriver between the instrument panel and the the gauges and pop one of the side gauges off and then remove the middle gauges which is the speedometer etc and then you can remove the PRND21 marked piece off plastic. I wish I had seen this earlier today I would have taken some pics for you.

You might try asking about the "pernundle" (PRNDL). For some reason, every mechanic I have ever talked to knows what that means!

Appreciate this is an old post -- I just stumbled on it as my Explorer's shift indicator is out of alignment.

FYI, I believe the reference to creating a word ("pernundle") from the indicators "PRND" (Park,Reverse,Neutral,Drive).

Now to figure out what gear the truck is in....the repair continues.

thread from the dead
anyway our PRND21 indicator isn't working at all, if anybody has a clue how to help feel free ,thanks
99 sohc sport 2dr

Fixing Shift Indicator

I messed mine up when I pulled the dash to replace lights...and took it to Ford all disassembled. Seems I got it wrapped in my finger and stretched or did something to it...

They smiled, said I had done all the hard work and all that was wrong was the string that pulled the display arrow had come partially unhooked - all they needed to do was remove the column cover, reach in and and hook it back up.

Charged me only $35, and after hooking it back up returned it to me with the instrument cluster fully installed! Best $35 I ever spent.

I hope that helps. I guess Ford dealers aren't always bad guys!

The ford tech term for it is the prindle cable if you ask the parts department.

Your ziptie fix should last for years. Mine did.

Back