• Register Today It's free!

ABS light with 4x4 high?

walt100

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
A couple of days ago the ABS light on my '04 XLT came on and has been on since. A quick search through Google brings up numerous mentions of an ABS sensor problem.

My question, though, is that the 4x4 High light flashes on and off every so often (maybe 5 times during a 30 minute commute). This started at the same time as the ABS light. Because of that, I would think that the two are related. It doesn't "feel" like the 4x4 High is actually engaging, but I don't know that for sure. Would an ABS sensor problem cause a 4x4 high light problem as well? (probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination)

I hope this isn't an expensive repair. Naturally, I'm at 38000, just outside of warranty!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing

My 4.0 XLS started doing the same thing at 44000 miles. Out of the blue, the ABS light came on continously and the 4x4 Auto light flashes on and off, sometimes repeatedly and other times will quite appearing for several dozen miles. The 4WD does not feel like it is engaging, but the ABS seems to be kicking in and vibrating the pedal occasionally during normal braking.

History of this vehicle includes the additive to the tranny at 20K, a total disintegration and rebuild of the original transmission at 32000 and moderate hard shifting and lateral pulling at highway speeds around 38000 miles. That latter problem was attributed to replacing only the rear tires according to Ford.

Currently have 46000 miles on this. Any help would be apreciated.

im not familiar with the 3rd generation explorers but i would guess that yes the ABS and 4Hi light is related..

my guess is that the vehicle is reading speed and ABS data from the front and rear ABS wheel sensors (and not at the transfer case like 97 and earlier years - 98 and up reads from the RABS).. with this in mind, should one of the sensors go whacky causing the vehicle to think that a wheel is slipping, it will probably engage 4-Hi... when the 4-Hi engages, you shouldnt really feel anything like a clunk or anything of that sort as most "4-Hi" electric shift design is engaged by an electromagnetic field pressing on a set of friction plates. the "4-Hi" is probably an indication that the vehicle still isnt getting the proper reading even when the transfer case is engaged to "4-Hi"... to narrow it down, unless u notice an oddity (like a fluctuating) speedometer reading, i would guess that its one of the front sensors since "4-Hi" is also being engaged ("4-Hi" only affects the front driveshaft/differential/wheels)

IZwack said:
im not familiar with the 3rd generation explorers but i would guess that yes the ABS and 4Hi light is related..

my guess is that the vehicle is reading speed and ABS data from the front and rear ABS wheel sensors (and not at the transfer case like 97 and earlier years - 98 and up reads from the RABS).. with this in mind, should one of the sensors go whacky causing the vehicle to think that a wheel is slipping, it will probably engage 4-Hi... when the 4-Hi engages, you shouldnt really feel anything like a clunk or anything of that sort as most "4-Hi" electric shift design is engaged by an electromagnetic field pressing on a set of friction plates. the "4-Hi" is probably an indication that the vehicle still isnt getting the proper reading even when the transfer case is engaged to "4-Hi"... to narrow it down, unless u notice an oddity (like a fluctuating) speedometer reading, i would guess that its one of the front sensors since "4-Hi" is also being engaged ("4-Hi" only affects the front driveshaft/differential/wheels)
check the rear speed sensor (i think its like a $30 part), the ABS light has come on 2x, and each time it is the rear speed sensor thats the problem

Rear speed sensor. Been there, done that back in May.

I know the thread is old, but, I have the same problem, and I believe my front driver side wheel hub is bad too, it makes a whistle or humming noise. Could the bad wheel hub be the reason I have the abs light and te 4x4hi flashing?

Back