• Register Today It's free!

ABS Module

shonuff82

Reaction score
City, State
Houghton, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger
Could someone with a wire diagram tell me what each of the wires going into the wire plug that goes to the ABS module is for?(The module right behind the battery)

My buddy pulled the module out and now his speedo does not work, and we are trying to find a way to jump the wires to get it working again. Unfortunatly the diagram we have does not show this.

The truck has a straight axle so the abs does not work. We removed the module and have now found that the speedo is not working causeing the tranny to shift irraticaly.

Is there a way to bypass this module since we arent using the abs anymore?

If so .........how?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Need to know what year and model we're talking about here....

-Joe

sorry.........it out of a 99 ranger 4x4 3.0l auto. The truck is SASed so the abs doesnt work anyways....

OK. Needed to know the vehicle so I could see how the VSS signal is routed.

Unfortunately, on a 99 Ranger with 4wheel ABS, the VSS signal from the rear diff is fed to the 4WABS module which processes the signal, then outputs a signal that gets split between the speed control servo, PCM, instrument cluster, and GEM. Because the ABS module conditions the signal, it's not as simple as jumpering a couple of pins. Also, it's not the speedo being out that causes the trans to shift erratically, it's the lack of signal from the ABS module that causes both systems to be out of whack.

Now, on a vehicle with Rear ABS, the GEM itself conditions the signal, then outputs the signal to the PCM, cruise control servo, and instrument panel. In theory, if you could find a GEM module out of a truck equipped with RABS, you *might* be able to swap it out, but I'd be surprised.... I highly doubt that it would be a plug-and-play affair, but you never know. At the very least you'd need to run the wires from the rear speed sensor to the GEM instead of to the ABS module under the hood, and there's the whole matter of all the other accessories the GEM controls. You'd need to do a pin-by-pin comparison of the two GEM modules and their connectors to make sure they were compatible, and even then, there's no guarantees.....

My best suggestion would be to plug the module back in and screw it to the fender well, then pull the ABS light out of the dash cluster. Everything should work fine then.

-Joe

Back