• Register Today It's free!

AC Drain location

hambone83

Reaction score
City, State
Central Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Can anyone point me to where the AC drain host is located on our Explorers? Mine is a 2012 Limited. I did a search but no where found the location of it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the exact answer but I'm sure if you run the A/C with the Explorer parked you will be able to get a general idea by looking to see where the water runs out of.

Peter

Found the drain, under the drivers side, looking up by the firewall from underneath, there is a plastic tube poking out about 2 inches towards the front. It does not drop down like other vehicles. I will try to add a pic shortly.

Here is a picture:
20140521_221432_zps45782a77.jpg

2016 Explorer Limited.
We frequently get an odd smell when we turn the air conditioner on. Also have noticed that after we get somewhere and the A/C has been on, the car is then turned off and we never see any water puddles form under the vehicle from the A/C condenser drain.
Can someone point me in the direction of where the drain(s) are. I have front and rear A/C. Want to check to make sure they are not plugged first.
Thanks

2016 Explorer Limited.
We frequently get an odd smell when we turn the air conditioner on. Also have noticed that after we get somewhere and the A/C has been on, the car is then turned off and we never see any water puddles form under the vehicle from the A/C condenser drain.
Can someone point me in the direction of where the drain(s) are. I have front and rear A/C. Want to check to make sure they are not plugged first.
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have merged your thread with an existing one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right). Not sure if the 2016+ is the same. There are also threads on the 'smell' you get from the vents. Here is one of them; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/foul-smell-in-cabin-from-vents-ac.375439/

Peter

The rear AC drain is near the left rear wheel area.

What year is this Explorer
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
According to the profile in the margin, it's a 2012 Limited. BTW, your other post was moved to the 2002 - 2005 Stock Explorer forum.

Peter

For a 2015 Sport, the drain tube end (plastic stub fitting like in the photo) is covered by silver firewall insulation. You have to tug it back to access it. It’s not easy, but was able to get a foam evaporator cleaner in there and seems to have improved the wet sock smell I sometimes get after running A/C

Found the drain, under the drivers side, looking up by the firewall from underneath, there is a plastic tube poking out about 2 inches towards the front. It does not drop down like other vehicles. I will try to add a pic shortly.
I have same problem, what is it?

I have same problem, what is it?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure what you mean by "problem". It appears that the picture is of the A/C drain tube. It may not be the same on your 2008 XLT since the 5th gen is a completely different vehicle..

Peter

Back