cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 King Ranch 4wd 3.0T
Trailer came loose at 60+mph and as the trailer came loose and hit the rear and then continued to in the controlled stop, created lots of damage.

IMG_1830-small-cut.jpg

IMG_1832-small-cut.jpg

P6080011-small-cut.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ouchie

wow it could have been alot worse!
I assume the chains did their job from the looks of things.
How heavy is the trailer?
Why did it come loose?

Shouldn't the tongue have fallen onto the ground if it was balanced correctly with more weight in the front?

Either way, that really sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon.

thats not too bad as far as damage is concerned... its so new, i say get a hatch..... bodywork cant fix that..... well maybe with a ton of hours and hundreds of bondo pounds.....

what happened to thte trailer? why did it come loose? glad you didnt get hurt

You definately need a new hatch and have the paint blended to match your existing color.

In highschool and summers during college I worked for my Dad's collision repair shop, they do very high end work. If any shop wants to straighten that gate turn and run. If they want to skin it (not sure if they can) you may want to consider paying the difference of what the insurance will pay to get a new gate.

Just my 2 bits

i would say just get a new hatch and repair the bumper.

Hitch pin appears to have failed and allowed the hitch "clamp" and ball to get loose enough that @ 60 mph it came apart. 650lb of cargo evenly loaded over the wheels and forward.
Only the "right" side chain was still attached once i came to a stop, scary i will tell ya!

As to the repairs, so far:
New tailgate
New bumper, cover, reverse sensor cover (thou i doubt the 2nd one from the left is working correctly now and may to be replaced), emblems, paint work (2tone) and all the attached goodies (black "skid" plate on bumper, emblems...)

So far $2400

Trailer.... it's fine (except for the wiring connector tore out) and... it's for sale. ;)

Well seeing how you are from the good old Maple Valley too I will give you some advice. If you do indeed get body work done stay far away from Sound Ford in Renton. There is a body shop in the back and I had work done by them and was not pleased. They did good work and I am happy with that but the managment is terrible. It took over a week and it still wasn't finished when it was supposed to only take 3 days. There were various other things too but I won't go into detail. That was 2 years ago and I'm still angry. :fire:

snoborder42 said:
Well seeing how you are from the good old Maple Valley too I will give you some advice. If you do indeed get body work done stay far away from Sound Ford in Renton. There is a body shop in the back and I had work done by them and was not pleased. They did good work and I am happy with that but the managment is terrible. It took over a week and it still wasn't finished when it was supposed to only take 3 days. There were various other things too but I won't go into detail. That was 2 years ago and I'm still angry. :fire:
Thanks for the advise and really there historically has been much good about Sound ford...

I am taking it to Bowen Scarff Collision Center to be repaired so let's hope they do it right and on time.

Back