• Register Today It's free!

AC Trouble

TMAC82

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Prairie, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hello, first time using forums but I am stuck. I’ve been looking for a diagram or something for the ac system in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I replaced the compressor, condenser, accumulator, orifice tube. Vacuumed and all that. Now I have high pressure on the low side and low pressure on the high side. I’m new to ac and most of what I know is what I’ve googled or read in books.
I’ve tried to order an expansion valve for the front system but the only thing I can find are rear ace expansion valves. Is there one in the front? Can anyone give me a diagram of the ac system in my vehicle? I know there’s an expansion valve in the rear along with blower and what nots but my brains telling me the same is ate the front. Expansion valve according to everything I’ve read should be in the dash with the evaporator. Someone please help. Any information on my ac would be helpful.
Thank you in advance!

An expansion valve is a refrigerant metering device that controls the amount of refrigerant allowed into the evaporator using a sensing element installed on the suction (exiting line) that returns to the compressor. The orifice tube is the metering device for the front dash mounted evaporator and if "fixed" meaning that is has no feed back element like the expansion valve. Control is from the suction pressure itself that controls the variable capacity compressor. Most home air conditioners now use a fixed orifice type of metering device these days.

What are the pressure readings? The low side connection on top of the accumulator will read high if the compressor is off but should be the same as the high side. Was the system evacuated properly and charged with the correct amount of R134a? Hopefully you have not put in a massive overcharge. Quite frankly these systems can be very dangerous if the proper procedures are not followed.

An expansion valve is a refrigerant metering device that controls the amount of refrigerant allowed into the evaporator using a sensing element installed on the suction (exiting line) that returns to the compressor. The orifice tube is the metering device for the front dash mounted evaporator and if "fixed" meaning that is has no feed back element like the expansion valve. Control is from the suction pressure itself that controls the variable capacity compressor. Most home air conditioners now use a fixed orifice type of metering device these days.

What are the pressure readings? The low side connection on top of the accumulator will read high if the compressor is off but should be the same as the high side. Was the system evacuated properly and charged with the correct amount of R134a? Hopefully you have not put in a massive overcharge. Quite frankly these systems can be very dangerous if the proper procedures are not followed.
Donystoy, thank you for all the information. Yes the system was evacuated correctly I assume. I had it evacuated at the auto shop. I don’t believe it was overcharged because it takes 56ounces and only 36ounces we’re put in. At that point the compressor was on and the pressures kinda worried me. After your post I realize it’s probably the expansion valve. That was not replaced but after it is replaced I will update you and let you know how it goes. The pressure on low side was 90 psi and the low side was at 42.

Back