• Register Today It's free!

Accessory Power

Chuck Neubert

Reaction score
City, State
Uniontown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Is there any way to keep the power on to the radio for more than 10 minutes when the car isn't running? I'm sitting in the car listening to the radio and the power goes off, even though I pressed the Start/Stop button to turn on the power for accessories.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the 2020 Explorer but in the 5th gen you didn't require to have accessory mode ON. All you had to do was press the radio ON button. My Aviator works the same way.

Peter

Dont think the 2020 explorers work that way. Trying to watch a movie at a drive in theaters not going well. Ridiculous design oversight by FORD!

Dont think the 2020 explorers work that way. Trying to watch a movie at a drive in theaters not going well. Ridiculous design oversight by FORD!
The radio will not stay on indefinitely. It will still power off after a certain period. You can just press the radio button to turn it on again. There should be no need to have accessory mode active.

Peter

The radio will not stay on indefinitely. It will still power off after a certain period. You can just press the radio button to turn it on again. There should be no need to have accessory mode active.

Peter
It powers off after 10 minutes. Terrible design. When you want to turn it back on, the headlights, interior lights and everything else powers back up. Try going to a drive in movie in this car and you'll have a BAD experience!

If that happening then you must be using the Start/Stop button to activate the Accessory mode. Unless the 2020 Explorer is different than the Aviator and the 5th gen Explorers, there is no need to turn on accessory mode to use the radio. The radio like the visor buttons, are always powered. Leave the ignition OFF and just turn the radio ON. I didn't time mine but I believe it stayed ON for about 30 minutes before it turned OFF.

Peter

It powers off after 10 minutes. Terrible design. When you want to turn it back on, the headlights, interior lights and everything else powers back up. Try going to a drive in movie in this car and you'll have a BAD experience!
Did you try what I mentioned above? Does it work?

Peter

If that happening then you must be using the Start/Stop button to activate the Accessory mode. Unless the 2020 Explorer is different than the Aviator and the 5th gen Explorers, there is no need to turn on accessory mode to use the radio. The radio like the visor buttons, are always powered. Leave the ignition OFF and just turn the radio ON. I didn't time mine but I believe it stayed ON for about 30 minutes before it turned OFF.

Peter

Peter you are correct I just went out and checked my 2020 Limited and it works just as you described.

Peter you are correct I just went out and checked my 2020 Limited and it works just as you described.
Thanks Ricky. That confirms that the 2020 is like the 5th gen Explorers. I would have been surprised if it wasn't.

Peter

Had my 2020 XLT for less than a week and so far this has been my biggest frustration. I run a lot of errands with my wife and end up sitting in the car for extended periods of time. Most of the time when my wife exits the vehicle, the radio shuts off. I can usually get it to turn back on by pressing the radio power button on the volume switch, but it doesn’t always seem to work without multiple attempts. I also find that I’m unable to roll the windows up/down without starting the car. Am I doing something wrong?

The radio should turn ON every time you press its power button. Unless the engine is running, you need to have accessory mode ON to operate the windows. No need to start the vehicle.

Peter

How do you activate accessory mode?

Usually just by pressing the Start/Stop button without your foot on the brake.

The radio should turn ON every time you press its power button. Unless the engine is running, you need to have accessory mode ON to operate the windows. No need to start the vehicle.

Peter

Doesn't the Radio also need accessory power if the engine is not running. I know that the radio is powered for sometime after shutting off the engine but it eventually cuts power to the radio as well unless you have the accessory mode on.

The radio and visor buttons are always powered. No need to turn Accessory Mode ON. The radio will stay ON longer if you use its power ON button than it will if you just turn the ignition OFF. It will however be turned OFF by the Battery Saver program eventually but just hit the power button to turn it back ON. The 5th gens were the same.

Peter

Peter
So this works... but the a/c stays on and the yellow check engine light on the tach is illuminated. I turned off the air, but will using this mode run down the battery excessively?

So this works... but the a/c stays on and the yellow check engine light on the tach is illuminated. I turned off the air, but will using this mode run down the battery excessively?
I believe it will eventually get turned OFF by the Battery Saver program but why leave it in Accessory Mode? The radio doesn't need it and if it just to open/close the windows, just turn it ON and then OFF.

Peter

The radio and visor buttons are always powered. No need to turn Accessory Mode ON. The radio will stay ON longer if you use its power ON button than it will if you just turn the ignition OFF. It will however be turned OFF by the Battery Saver program eventually but just hit the power button to turn it back ON. The 5th gens were the same.

Peter

Thank you for the clarification. Now I can listen to music if I am waiting in the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back