Adam and Steves 1986 Bronco II | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adam and Steves 1986 Bronco II

Cut off the cat

The next thing i wanted to do is remove the catalytic converter to allow for some better airflow.

I noticed however that unlike most trucks the two pipes off the manifolds do not converge and then go into the CAT. They both go directly into the CAT and then one pipe comes out.

So i went down to auto value and got a 2 1/4" Y and 3 pieces of the bendable exhaust pipe. Bought 6 exhaust clamps and then cut out the CAT. Placed in the new pipe and tightened everything up. Looks good and sounds better.

DSCF9139.jpg

DSCF9140.jpg

DSCF9142.jpg

DSCF9145.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most everything big we have planned is accomplished for now. Planning on painting it thursday and fixing any more odds and ends.

If anybody has any cool/cheap upgrades let me know.

subscribing.

i like it.

subscribing.

i like it.

Haha THanks

I cant wait to post some pics of her all painted up on thursday.
And even more excited of gettin some pics up on the dunes!

We picked this up last september for $700
Its going to be strickly a Silver Lake Sand Dune vehicle.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59028&stc=1&d=1272310689

This pic was taken the day we bought it (steves on the left, Im on the right)

Ah, Youth

Great to see that there are two guys that can work together. There were so many times I could have used a hand.
410 can steer you in a lot of good directions, but it will be up to you guys to pick the directions.
Do you guys have a Mig welder? There will be some areas that will need to be addressed like the metal above and or below the body mounts.
You might want to pull all carpet out if have not already done that and check for some major rust spots around floor boards.
Also check on the metal floor near where the rear hatch comes down.
I'll check on you guys from time to time.
Do you think you guys may go to a Dana 35 front axle?

Ah, Youth

Great to see that there are two guys that can work together. There were so many times I could have used a hand.
410 can steer you in a lot of good directions, but it will be up to you guys to pick the directions.
Do you guys have a Mig welder? There will be some areas that will need to be addressed like the metal above and or below the body mounts.
You might want to pull all carpet out if have not already done that and check for some major rust spots around floor boards.
Also check on the metal floor near where the rear hatch comes down.
I'll check on you guys from time to time.
Do you think you guys may go to a Dana 35 front axle?

Unfortunately i do not have any welder. i do know how to mig and stick weld to some extent. Its just we are both in college with lots of bills to pay and dont have tons of money or time for all the sweet mods you guys have done. Our primary shop is an old chicken coup with a couple lights and a few electrical outlets, not even water lol. And the basic tools really.

My dad and my boss used to be big into building 4x4's but they are strickly chevy fans and know nothing about the ford setup (which in my opinion is much more complicated than a chevy, but watever) so they are only a limited help.

The basic thing im lookin for help is power mods, whether it be different gear ratio's or what, but not motor swaps and big stuff like that (at least not at the moment)

This truck is strickly sand dunes so we don't need a monster lift, they really arent necessary at all up their but for looks.

But thanks for the help and i appreciate it and hope to hear more

Our primary shop is an old chicken coup with a couple lights and a few electrical outlets, not even water lol.

:D That works..been there done that in a same kinda/sorta way when I was learning to wrench. My engine hoist was monster Elm tree with a perfect 10 inch limb to pull engines out with.
Since you have a Michigan mobile, you should make sure all the body mounts and suspension mounts are solid and not terribly weakened by any rust. You are going to hammer around on dunes and jump creeks:thumbsup: so make sure everything is as strong as it can be.

:D That works..been there done that in a same kinda/sorta way when I was learning to wrench. My engine hoist was monster Elm tree with a perfect 10 inch limb to pull engines out with.
Since you have a Michigan mobile, you should make sure all the body mounts and suspension mounts are solid and not terribly weakened by any rust. You are going to hammer around on dunes and jump creeks:thumbsup: so make sure everything is as strong as it can be.

Will do. THanks for the input :thumbsup:

i jsut got 1 of these for a doller :)

Painted and looking b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l

So today i went down and wirebrushed the entire front clip and sprayed it all down with black undercoating. Looks super clean and much nicer than before. Hopefully it will stop any more rust under the fenders lol.

I bought a gallon kit of Herculiner Bedliner at Advance Auto Parts. I have heard nothing but awesome reviews about the stuff.

And everyone was right, it looks awesome. Unlike other bedliners it is really glossy and super shiny in the sunlight. Even when dry.

Plus it took about half a gallon to do the whole truck lol.

Well Heres the picks of her lookin all sexy. Only thing that needs to go on are the mirrors and tail lights.

Let me know what you think.

DSCF9148.jpg

DSCF9150.jpg

DSCF9152.jpg

DSCF9155.jpg

Steve lookin like a nerd lol
DSCF9159.jpg

DSCF9163.jpg

DSCF9164.jpg

DSCF9167.jpg

Next to the raider. Did a couple GLory SHots lol
DSCF9169.jpg

DSCF9173.jpg

The sun was no longer shining when we took it out of the barn so it doesnt look so great. But in the sun it looks awesome. Im really happy with how it turned out.

I like this last pic the best, it just looks nasty lol.

Are you going to call it Baby Herc..I think the BII is safe from a nuclear blast now :D. Good job on getting it done, it looks good.
Why is there only one of you getting dirty working on the BII. :rolleyes: ha ha

Are going it call it Baby Herc..I think the BII is safe from a nuclear blast now :D. Good job on getting it done, it looks good.
Why is there only one of you getting dirty working on the BII. :rolleyes: ha ha

Lol yeah I'm normally the one doing slot of the dirty work. But Steve lives 2 hours away so he doesn't come up every week. But it does help havin some help and we split the cost of everything so that's nice. But yah she is pretty indestructable now and ready for some duning.

So i got her pretty much done..... (for the moment lol)

Put the hood scoops on.
Marked where they looked good and where the air filter would sit good and sawzalled the spots out.

Glued them and put em in. Looks sweet, couldnt get good angle inside.

Cant wait for Memorial Day weekend to take her out for her first run. Hope she runs good (fingers crossed).

The scoops are a little dusty in the pics, thats why they look like crap

DSCF9176.jpg

DSCF9175.jpg

DSCF9177.jpg

DSCF9178.jpg

im diggin the bed-liner paint job! and the hood scoops!
looks like a fun truck. :)

im diggin the bed-liner paint job! and the hood scoops!
looks like a fun truck. :)

Hey THANKS!!
yah i will get some nice shots of it soon, my girlfriends a photographer so she can get some badass shots hopefully

Having some very odd running problems. It starts fine, and idles fine, but It starts chugging and loosing power when warm and under power. I have read alot of threads about it and their is a whole bunch of things people say causes these issues. I replaced the fuel filter. I can hear the main pump running when the key is turned, and the guy we bought it from said he just put a new in tank pump before we bought it. I know he did because of the monster hole in the back lol, and brand new gas tank lol. I just put a new distributor cap and rotor in today and that solved nothing. My chiltons manual shows how to adjust the distributor timing but i cant seem to find the spot on the crank pulley that shows the TDC. Im going to try that and i bought new plugs. Cleaning out my bosses shop i found a brand new Starter Soleniod for a ford lol. Idk if it would fit but he gave it to me and its def for an older ford. No idea where this goes but i thought i may as well seeing it was free. PLEASE HELP!!!! DUNES ARE NEXT WEEKENEND!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: I put in a new TFI module and ignition coil today. Didnt solve it. I bought a new MAP sensor, No idea if that could be it but may as well try, im thinkin electrical or vacuum lines, and that has both on it.

Another Update lol: I went to clean the EGR valve today because i hear it can cause problems if it is clogged, and i found that the metal tubing running from the valve to the exhaust manifold was completely rusted out lol. I took the valve out, used about an entire bottle of carb cleaner and put it back in. I then took a piece of tin and rapped it around the tubing and put hose clamps on both sides. I then rapped it all with exhaust tape and coated it all in exhaust sealant lol. Hopefully it holds up enough to create enough vaccuum. Hopefully this solves my problem and i will know what happens tomorrow when i fire it up. (fingers crossed)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so we finally got the bronco runnin well wish I could have gotten some more help on here buto well. Ended up bein a $5 filter located in fuel regulator. Stupid thing. Nobody ever mentioned anything about that and it was literally the last thing I checked. So after a complete mechanical makeover lol, she runs like she is supposed to. I will post all the new parts here shortly

Well instead of doing it the way you smart guys would lol we just kept troubleshooting our problem. (symtems are stated in the previous post.) ps. we did not make it onto the dunes that weekend.

We put in and i will put a price next to each of about how much they cost if i can remember:

New High pressure fuel pump $90
Tps sensor $30
Map sensor $65
Knock sensor (my mistake, broke it taking the starter out.) $120
Tfi module $45
Ignition Coil $15
Fuel Filter $5
Fuel Regulator filter (aka the culprit) looks like a small round K&N air filter with rubber on top and bottom $5
Fuel strainer on the in tank pump $8
Spark Plugs $30
Cap and Rotor $25
Startor solenoid (broke that one also lol) $0 free lol
Alternator (was shot anyway) $85
Battery (Also shot) $65

and overall list including those since we bought it:
New All Terrain tires $400
Gas Tank $100
Lockers $0
U Joints $40
Clutch $110
Oil Pump $55
Oil pan gasket $15
CV joints $40
Rear axle bearings $50
Rear brakes $80
$300 Pioneer Deck and $500 worth of eclipse speakers (already had these from a previous vehicle though)
In tank pump $80
Painted the entire truck with Herculiner Bed liner, Some narly stuff and i love it. $80 for a gallon. used 2/3 of it with 2 coats
Water pump $30
Cone style air filter #35
Hood Scoops $40
4x4 Stickers and a custome (revin on the redline) sticker on the back window. $0
1 Quart of bondo $10

So we have basically redone the truck lol for an estimated $1653.
Add the $700 we paid for it and it equals to about $2353.

Alot of money was spent on things that were not broke. But we plan to have it for a long time so we will know it should be good for a while and have alot of working spare parts. This winter (if we dont brake it at the dunes) we plan to put in a nice lift, prolly 4 inch suspension, we know a guy with a ranger, same year looking to straight axle in the front so we will buy his lift.

Hopefully remove all carpet, patch any holes (rusty up here lol)

Redo all the brake and gas lines. My favorite thing because its cheap and easy, and i actually have all the tools lol.

Clean up interior, possibly get dash and seats out of an explorer.

Undercoat the entire bottom of the truck.

Take apart and clean everything. lol

Fab up a cool bumper and possibly throw a wench on it.

If anybody has any questions or any tips to give me on her, let me know.

I have also heard that by replacing the 86 pistons with 85 flat pistons and putting in injectors from an old mustang, 400 hp can be squeezed out of this little engine. Idk if its true but whatever.

Back