Adding a class 3 hitch to 2007 EB. (From a novice) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a class 3 hitch to 2007 EB. (From a novice)

oldscout

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I decided to add a class 3 hitch to my 07 EB. The stock class 2 hitch is too high to tow my snowmobile trailer and I couldn't find a drop bar with enough drop. Plus there are a lot more options with a class 3 hitch.

I decided on a Hidden hitch ordered from www.ontheball.com. Delivered it was $167.88 and it came in about 3 days.

I'd seen other people post here how easy it is to install so I figured I'd give it a go.

First I removed the spare tire and staged the hitch.
4061167733_d00360f3de.jpg

I put the plates in the frame for the front bolts.
4061920354_2c125bc0d6.jpg

I attached the bolts to the pull wires and pulled them through. You really don't need the pull wires for the front bolts but it helps to keep them in place when lifting the hitch in place.
4061172327_4425725193.jpg

Pulling a front bolt through its plate before lifting the hitch into place.
4061175315_f625209624.jpg

I lifted the hitch into place with a floor jack and hand tightened the nuts. The biggest mistake I made was when removing the pull wires from the front bolts I wasn't very careful and damaged the part that threads on to the bolt.

The pull wires are critical for pulling the rear bolts into place. To get the rear bolt and plate into place you have to feed the pull wire into the rear bolt hole through the frame and out the same frame slot used to put the front bolt in. (I forgot to take pictures of this part of the operation.)

Rear bolt hole.
4061924632_55cd784da9.jpg

You have to put the backer plate and bolt into the frame separately but even with my damaged pull wire they still came together and I got them out the frame hole.

Completed installation.
4061929298_e944d2da99.jpg

If anybody is interested in this and would like some advise or more pictures I'd be glad to do what I can.

Thanks for reading.
Larry (Oldscout)

I have been thinking about doing this for a couple weeks myself. So nothing needs drilled holes are all already existing?

I have been thinking about doing this for a couple weeks myself. So nothing needs drilled holes are all already existing?
That's right, no drilling, cutting or welding. The web sites have the instructions you can down load to check out exactly what you need. The tools I used were a 13mm socket (to remove the bracket for the trailer wiring), a 3/4 inch socket(I think) to install the hitch and the floor jack to lift the hitch into place.

If I can do this with little problem, then anybody can. I don't even change my own oil. :)

Back