Adding zerk fitting to old ball joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding zerk fitting to old ball joints

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
In an earlier adventure, I discovered some play in my bottom ball joints when the x is supported by the frame. I was not at all surprised and I have seen enough suspension to know I can drive this for a while yet. But, I thought why not add a zerk fitting and pump it with some grease. Nothing to lose.

So, I am being completely careful about getting any debris in the ball joint. I greased the drill bit and had a magnet on hand for good measure. The drill got through the bottom, I was so careful. I pulled the bit back out, and a stream of rust dust follows the bit out. I got the air hose and blew a lot more dry rust out the hole. Apparently, my ball joints have been running on powdered rust instead of grease.

I tapped the hole (1/4-28 bottoming tap), threaded in a zerk, and packed it up. May not make any difference at all, but I feel better knowing it's got some actual lubrication, probably for the first time in years.

If you are thinking of doing this, it's pretty easy if you can get the frame up high enough to get the drill under the ball joint. I used zerks with the shortest thread I could find so it would not interfere with the joint inside. You definitely need a bottoming tap to complete the threads before touching the ball. I am only doing the bottoms... I see no easy way to do the top ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have done this to many vehicles over the years myself. Thanks for posting it up for the "other" folks!

I may look dumb, but others may ask so I may as well go ahead and do it.

What is a zerk fitting?

I have one busted ball joint and four new ones in the garage for it, thanks Rock auto for saving me $35 compared to buying them locally.

You know.... I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I seem to recall a study that showed that on average, maintenance free, greaseless parts lasted longer than greaseable parts. Most people over-grease (which ruins the seal), and greasing a part can easily force dirt and other contaminants into a joint, even if you do a very good job cleaning off the zerk. I even tend to buy maintenance free joints, just because I know I can get long, reliable service life with them, and I am the one that does all the maintenance to my vehicles, so I know whether or not it is getting quality service.

I guess, if you are adding it to a maintenance free joint near the end of its life, that might extend its serviceable life if the part is not worn out..... but, does the grease actually have a way to reach where it is needed?

A zerk fitting is a fitting to introduce grease into a pivoting joint. Your front end has at least 5 of them.

Thanks Roadrunner. Yeah the front end has them out the rear, if that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Ball joints = 4 total,
Tie rod ends = 2 total,
Draglink = another one.

I think that is right, from memory. I know this because I already have the ball joints to replace, along with tie rods and the drag link. I have alignment issues and want to be perfectly certain that nothing will need changed out after paying $79.99 for alignment which would mess up the alignment.

Edit: not sure if every explorers ball joints are odd like mine but here goes..... Since we're on the subject I guess it's not really high jacking the thread.

My lower ball joints has the zerk fittings which have a 90 degree angle on them to make greasing them easier, but the upper ball joints do not have these and with the knuckle or whatever its called you cannot get a grease gun in there to fill it unless they make grease guns with 90 degree fittings where it could slid in and hopefully be small enough to fit.

Is it just me or does everyone else have an issue with this?

My new ball joints are the same. :mad:

I guess, if you are adding it to a maintenance free joint near the end of its life, that might extend its serviceable life if the part is not worn out..... but, does the grease actually have a way to reach where it is needed?

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the web trying to figure this out. In the end I decided there was nothing to lose except the cost of a tap and fittings. I can't say for sure, but I noticed the feel of the play was more 'sticky' or viscous. So, I think there is grease there.

When I replace them next spring, I guess the consensus is Moog, which comes with a grease fitting in the box and a ball joint with a theaded plug. I don't know if that counts as maintenance free or not.

When I replace them next spring, I guess the consensus is Moog, which comes with a grease fitting in the box and a ball joint with a theaded plug. I don't know if that counts as maintenance free or not.

Moog isn't considered the best anymore. There was another thread on here with discussions about which balljoints are better..

IIRC, Spicers and MCquay Norris Extreme came out on top. The Raybestos ones are supposed to be Spicer and when I got them (Raybestos) a few weeks ago they sure looked like the Spicer ones. Same design, metal color and boot...

~Mark

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the web trying to figure this out. In the end I decided there was nothing to lose except the cost of a tap and fittings. I can't say for sure, but I noticed the feel of the play was more 'sticky' or viscous. So, I think there is grease there.

No, what I meant by maintenance free were ball joints that you cannot service, in other words, ones without grease fittings. But, with what you are doing, adding the zerk to ball joints that are several years old probably does increase their service life. I'm certain that on a ball joint that is already several years old, you have nothing to lose by doing this mod, and probably some gain to be had.

theres two onthe drag link. drivers-passenger connection and pitman-draglink connection

8 total lol

Really? I've been under my explorer many, many, times and never seen two on the drag link. Never seen two on the photos at rock auto either. Maybe I need glasses but last I checked my vision was 20/20, too much time on this computer may have killed it.

Really? I've been under my explorer many, many, times and never seen two on the drag link. Never seen two on the photos at rock auto either. Maybe I need glasses but last I checked my vision was 20/20, too much time on this computer may have killed it.
both are right there above the pumpkin.
IMG_20110922_071432.jpg

Back