Advice needed - broken interior door arm-rest | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice needed - broken interior door arm-rest

Today my 91 Explorer interior door handle just broke right off. It's not the latch - the door still WORKS OK- it's the plastic interior drivers arm-rest part that I pull on to close the door. The plastic cracked on both sides and it came right off, it wasn't even loose before, I must have super-power strength! Any ideas about how to glue/tape/bolt it back on or a fix for it?

I think you can buy a replacement from A1Auto's website.

I'm in the same boat; it broke a few days ago and it's a real pain to shut the door. I have to kind of slam it to get it shut good, so now I have to roll down the window to grip the door to shut it.

I plan on finding some sort of metal handle at a swap meet or home depot or something like you would put on a cabinent or a gate or something and drilling a couple holes in the door panel to hold it until I can track down the right door panel at a junkyard somewhere to replace it... I'll try to share a pic :p

I may be wrong, but can't you just put in a new handle, and not the whole door panel?
That is, if the door panels in the First gen are anything like the second gen.

Back