advice needed - do I sell my Explorer or drive it 3000 miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

advice needed - do I sell my Explorer or drive it 3000 miles?

Autimous

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Here's my dilema:

About a year ago I bought a 1997 4.0 Eddie Bauer 2wd, which now has around 140k on the clock. I've had no trouble with it, it's had a tranny fluid change in the last 4000 miles and some new shocks as well as the 3000 mile oil/filter changes. I think I've looked after this car well. I bought if from the original owner about 5,000 miles ago and he was a meticulous German man who had kept all the receipts so I figured I was getting a car that would last me for many years to come.............. You get the picture, I like the car!

Around March time I'm moving from San Jose, CA to Minneapolis and I'm starting to wonder whether I'd be better off selling this car and buying another one in Minneapolis...... Or, I could drop the rear seats, load it up and drive it the 3000 or so miles and keep a car that I've got a lot of faith in.

If I drive it, is there anything I should check before I set off?

How much weight do you think I could tow if I bought a trailer and bolted on a hitch?

And a really stupid question that I will ask anyway...... Are there any differences between California models and the rest?

I've been able to learn alot about working on cars as the result of this forum so thanks to you all.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll make the trip no problem. Keep your originally salt and snow free Explorer. Don't buy another up there if you know how meticulously it was cared for. Makes no sense IMO.

From what I have seen, the ones up north experience a lot of road salt, which translates into rusty bottom side.
Yours is probably pretty much clean underneath.
Use the carwash a lot when you move.

Keep the truck, should serve you well during the move. I used mine to drive to and from Montana last year while I was going to school out there. 2800 miles each way and served me awesome.

Plus with the year & the milage you will not get much for it if you were to sell it.

Keep it, and take care of it.

mynameisaric said:
the only thing that will suck is the 2wd in minesota snow.
AGREED!

be careful of bolting on a ball to the bumper, it can only support about 400 pounds of weight pulled without damaging the bumper. The hole in the bumper where the ball goes is called a flower holder by many because of how useless it is. Have a real hitch installed to pull much weight, the max on my explorer is 5000-6000 pounds tow weight with a proper hitch.

Keep it and drive it until it won't drive no more, I have heard horror stories down in Tennessee from people buught vehicles form either up north where it snows a lot or down south near the ocean. Seems the salts from snow melting or from the air does a number to cars. when moved wash the undercarriage and any exposed metal well.

David

Living right next to Minn. I recommend that you add some weight to the back for the winter (sand bags in the back), wash it every week in the winter, make sure your tires have good tread, slow down for the first snow, and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the midwest.

Back