Advtrac /ABS issue

natlmatch

Reaction score
City, State
North houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Explorer
Hello all,

Had the weirdest problem I've ever encountered with my Explorer today. I was driving my 145,000 mile, well maintained, 2005 4.0L 2wd Explorer on a level, dry road today doing about 40mph. I had just begun braking normally for a red light ahead, everything was routine. About 100 feet from the light, I was slowing down thru about 20 to 25mph when all of a sudden the ABS started kicking back thru the brake pedal (it felt like it was the front driver’s side wheel that was locking up). I continued to brake the truck until it came to a complete stop; got out to see if there was anything on the road behind me like oil or debris that would have caused this...found nothing. I got over into the right lane, drove slow and then heard a low squealing-chirpy sound which seemed to come from under the hood but near the drivers side wheel area, this lasted for about 15secs and stopped as suddenly as it started. I pulled over again, looked under the hood and wheel area...saw nothing. I started moving again and about a minute later the "Check ADVtrac" message came on the truck's L.E.D. screen so I turned it off and continued driving nice and easy for another 5 miles w/no further issues.

Now, I'm not much of a mechanic so I think I'm headed off to Ford for some diagnostics but wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything like this before, please?

I appreciate all replies,

Regards,

NM

Yes I have had this problem too, but everything is closed today. The exactl same problem you have, I had as well. It felt like something was under my vehicle or trying to stop me. I am going to see a Ford dealership on Monday, I will let you know exactly what happened then. Hopefully its just a sensor or a dirty sensor, so it is not much to change :)

Sounds like either a wheel bearing or one of the wheel speed sensors is bad. The only way to check it is to do a live data scan while driving. One of the sensors will drop out to zero while the others will still read when coming to a stop. This will cause a false ABS event and activate the ABS module. Sometimes rust builds up under or around the sensor causing this.

Back