Aerostar fuel smell and vapor lock. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar fuel smell and vapor lock.

Hardyman47

Reaction score
City, State
Pretty Prairie, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Aerostar AWD Van
My aerostar all wheel drive vapor locks when you stop and turn off the engine when it's hot (I mean it runs rough for about 30sec to 1 Min,when you restart it, then smooths out) I also get fuel odors coming in the A/C intakes when I stop at stop signs etc. Any thoughts? It is fuel injected and says the fuel system is always under pressure.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. Which engine do you have? Check the fuel pressure regulator for fuel leaking into the vacuum line. The internal diaphragm is leaking if you see fuel when you remove the vacuum hose. The next thing to check is the engine coolant temperatuue sensor. You will need an Ohmmeter to see if it's within spec. I have a diagnostic chart in my list of useful threads.

Aerostar fuel smell and vapor lock

Thanks for the Quick response Brooklyn Bay. It's a '95 with a 4.0. Dealers don't seem to know squat! I will try your suggestions tomorrow and let you know what I find. What baffeled me was that I couldn't find any trace of fuel leakage, with diligent flashlight and mirror work. I can probably find it, but in case I can't, where would the fuel pressure regulator be located? Hardy.

Back