Aftercooler estimate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftercooler estimate

I'm getting disapointed when I take my explorer out for a nite on the town and after a few red light to red light sprints it gets sluggish. Time for an aftercooler. I can find the right aftercooler (air to air), but I want and estimate on how much it would be to plumb the pipe needed for my X. Also, someone said I'd have to reverse the direction of my supercharger if I used an Intercooler, would I have to do it with an aftercooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look into Methanol/water injection. Its only been popular for the last year or two.... but it flat out works. Helluva lot easier than an intercooler install- lets face it... there's just not much room under there.

www.snowperformance.net <-------- this is one place that makes a popular kit.

I'll help clear up some room under the hood.

Attachments

• gottago.jpg
    gottago.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 428

I agree with James T. If no one buys my supercharger i will be doing methanol injection. There are a bunch of turbo mustangs here using it and they all love it. Not to mention the price is a hell of alot better than an intercooler

rydinhigh said:
I agree with James T. If no one buys my supercharger i will be doing methanol injection. There are a bunch of turbo mustangs here using it and they all love it. Not to mention the price is a hell of alot better than an intercooler

I have this gig lined up... and if I get it.. I'll probably be buying your charger. :smoke: Just giving you a heads up. :cool:

i think a intercooler should add about 30 hp to the tires on your truck. there is room to put a front mount also you can make a air to water.

Section, It's a daily driver, otherwise the a/c, ps, cc, etc. would say bye. But thanks for the effort

James, yea I've considered it and the price is decent, but It's just the prob. of having to fill it up every few hundred miles (ever less for me). And with the aftercooler (air to air), no hassles. The only drawback I've heard to either is the price on the aftercooler. Anyone heard any stories from guys who have the meth. injection ? How hard to install ?

A few guys around here are running it- one on a GT and 2 on LS1's. Easy install, cheap to buy, and you can get methanol at any hobby shop. Some people run a 1/2 teaspoon of 2stroke oil in the mix to make the pump happy, but this is heresay.

You dont have to re-fill that often. It depends on how you drive. You set it to come on at whatever boost you want. Set it to 6psi, and it will only kick on at 6psi. Unless you hold 6psi all the time, even a small tank will last a while. Its really not that big a PITA to fill up a washer bottle every month or two.

Just thought i would add-

Be carefull making back to back runs on that BD-11. They are a street blower and not a race blower... it really needs to cool down some between passes. On a lighter note, they are easy and super cheap to rebuild. I watched a guy rebuild his on a kitchen table in about 30 minutes. :)

Actually you can use the windshield washer fluid that has methanol in it which is found at most gas stations.

That too, since most of it is around 90% methanol. Hell, you can run straight water if you want... you dont have to use methanol.

Got the methanol injection kit. It's a Snow performance stage II kit, and I'm wondering do I need to get a dyno tune to run it? I really don't have $300-400 just to through down. Also, it's hard to find an AWD dyno in GA.

Sounds awesome. Maybe do the brown wire mod to dyno?

Unfortunately, you can't do the brown wire mod on the AWD, only 4WD. I guess I could take off the front driveshaft, but don't know how accurate it would be.

If you can take off the front shaft, then go for it. It wont actually transfer any power to the front if there is no resistance. The output shaft will turn, but it will put power to the rear wheels about the same as if you were 4x4 and were in 2-hi. It may waste 5hp or so to turn the front output.

As usual, JamesT ingores the question :D

Is it safe to run the Meth. injection without a dyno tune ?

Yes. How much boost ya runnin'? If you're running 6psi peak, set it to come on around 5psi. As long as it isnt kicking in below 3-4psi, you're good to go. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No lower than 4..... although its all opinion. Thing is, there is no reason to set it any lower than that because the heat doesnt become an issue until 5-6psi. If you're showing 9psi peak id set it on 5psi and forget about it. Im thinking the adjustment on the snow controller wont let you set it below about 4psi anyway.

And dont be shocked when your truck smokes like an Emm Effer the first time or two it kicks on. The methanol/water will act like a steam cleaner on the internals, and itll knock all of the carbon buildup out of the combustion chambers. First time my buddy hit it on his LS1 the car smoked like a Cummins. :p

Good luck with it all, my child.

Back