Aftermarket HU - Stock Sub Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket HU - Stock Sub Question

mpntball2012

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB, 4.0, 4x4
What's up guys, I've read a few threads on hooking up the stock subwoofer to an aftermarket unit but I still had a few questions.

Right now I have a Pioneer head unit installed. I snipped the 8 speaker wires off of the main harness (+/-'s) along with the power, ignition, and ground wire and used wire nuts to secure each one. I somehow totally forgot about the subwoofer in the back.

Here's the two plugs (main and sub):
b3oBjl.jpg

And then the sub alone:
EqKU1l.jpg

I found this metra harness that you can plug the 8 pin sub connection into and switch it to an RCA connection: (METRA 70-5702)
31uGGIR8rbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My question is where do the other four wires on the metra harness connect to? The rear speakers?

Would this connection work? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this?

P.S. I FULLY plan on cleaning up that installation. Saving that for when I figure out how to hook the sub/amp. That's what I get for a quick and excited installation at 6a.m. on Christmas morning:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't quote me on this but I believe two of the wires run to the sub & two wires run to the sub amp.

That was my thought originally but it appears you plug the existing sub/amp plug into the metra harness, which already has wires running to the amplifier and subwoofer. Then the RCA's plug into the Sub-out on the headunit.

I might be wrong though

How is power going to get to the amp & sub with just the RCA adapter? The factory HU was sending power to the amp and sound to the sub.

I would imagine that one of those wires is the amp turn on for the stock sub amp

EDIT: I just looked at the sub harness crutchfield sells and it has only 3 wires, the rca wire, a turn on wire and a ground wire for the amp.

Good point. I'm only confused because wouldn't the factory sub plug already have wires running to the amplifier and subwoofer?

Good point. I'm only confused because wouldn't the factory sub plug already have wires running to the amplifier and subwoofer?

yeah i believe so but the remote turn on wire needs to go to the one on the decks harness. Im really not sure what the extra wires are for though, maybe just get the crutchfield harness? or get that one and run turn on ground and plug in rcas and see if it works

Yes it would, but it pluged into the factory HU and the HU would turn the amp on & send the signal to the sub. Now with the aftermarket HU you have no remote power turn on for the amp and no signal to the sub.

Myself I would order the harness from Crutchfield. I had my system jacked last year in another car I have and when the insurance replaced it they sent me a Metra harness & Metra HU instalation kit and I was not at all impressed with either of them.

Also when you order from Crutchfield they send a detailed set of instructions for your specific vehicle. Metra does not.

Myself I would order the harness from Crutchfield. I had my system jacked last year in another car I have and when the insurance replaced it they sent me a Metra harness & Metra HU instalation kit and I was not at all impressed with either of them.

Also when you order from Crutchfield they send a detailed set of instructions for your specific vehicle. Metra does not.

yeah all that about crutchfield definitely makes them worth the money, not to mention the shipping is second day. plus if you have any issues their tech support team will help you out

Thanks guys, found a few 00' wiring diagrams for the sounds system and that helped as well.

The crutchfield harness looks more straight forward as well. So one of the wires goes to ground, and the other is the amp turn on... which means that it should be spliced or connected to a constant 12v source right? Or ignition... etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also there probably wouldn't be a way I could get just the sub harness from crutchfield?

Thanks guys, found a few 00' wiring diagrams for the sounds system and that helped as well.

The crutchfield harness looks more straight forward as well. So one of the wires goes to ground, and the other is the amp turn on... which means that it should be spliced or connected to a constant 12v source right? Or ignition... etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also there probably wouldn't be a way I could get just the sub harness from crutchfield?

i doubt you could just get the sub harness, maybe give a call and ask.

but the remote turn on goes to the remote turn on lead on your aftermarket deck. if you go to constant 12v the amp will always be on and drain your battery

If you're Pioneer has a blue/white wire coming out of it, than use that wire, that usually is the amp turn-on wire.

I know they sell the HU to factory harness adapter by itself. I don't know why they wouldn't sell the sub harness by itself.

If you're Pioneer has a blue/white wire coming out of it, than use that wire, that usually is the amp turn-on wire.

Found it, it was tucked up underneath the deck. Complete connection is:

1)Amp turn on wire - turn on wire on harness
2)Ground wire on harness to a grounding location
3) RCA into rear sub output

That's it? I'll call crutchfield tomorrow and ask if they sell the sub harness alone.

I don't need to wire in a resistor with this method do I? I read some people have the popping noise when they turn the stereo on.

Found it, it was tucked up underneath the deck. Complete connection is:

1)Amp turn on wire - turn on wire on harness
2)Ground wire on harness to a grounding location
3) RCA into rear sub output

That's it? I'll call crutchfield tomorrow and ask if they sell the sub harness alone.

I don't need to wire in a resistor with this method do I? I read some people have the popping noise when they turn the stereo on.

i mean I have an aftermarket set up in my 02 and I get a pop from the sub, but its apparently because the amp turns on after the stereo does. there are delayed relays to wire into the remote lead

i mean I have an aftermarket set up in my 02 and I get a pop from the sub, but its apparently because the amp turns on after the stereo does. there are delayed relays to wire into the remote lead

If you have an aftermarket stereo using the factory sub/amp, the turn on pop is caused by the 12V output on the aftermarket stereo turn-on lead being fed to the amp which is expecting 5V. You can wire in a 5V voltage regulator to solve that problem.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599

Ordered the woofer harness from Crutchfield on Sunday and just got here today. Prepped the wiring and hooked it up in less than 30 minutes. Really easy install. I cleaned up my previous installation for the headunit and popped everything back in. Needless to say, the sub works and sounds surprisingly awesome. I was really surprised at how well it performed.

Like most of you, and to others that might be reading this... I would definitely recommend the Crutchfield harness over the Metra any day of the week as well, especially if you're starting from scratch and needed the main harness for the headunit. Sent me a catalog and an installation manual along with the part too.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Back