• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Intake Manifolds?

17.6Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Coatesville PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I want to start by mentioning that with MAC Performance single pipe 3" exhaust and a Kurtz Kustoms intake, I ran a 17.6 in the 1/4 with a 97 5.0 Mountaineer AWD. I read about the Torque Monster Headers and they claim a 17.4 quarter mile, i found that disappointing since theyre almost 700 dollars, not worth it in my eye.

Now for the real help, Does anyone know of any aftermarket intake manifolds for the 5.0 mounty/explorer? Or if the 5.0 mustang intake manifolds fit? I can not find any manifolds anywhere, and I keep getting led to the 5.0 mustang manifolds but they only go up to 1995, so if anyone knows if there is anything that works, the help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mustang manifolds fit just fine, you will have to get creative in order to use the stock Explorer throttle body but other than that they bolt right on, a 5.0 is a 5.0.

I've heard that the 94-95 mustang throttle body elbows can be used on the Ex but I'm not sure. Edelbrock makes a great intake and elbow adaptor that I had on my 95 cobra, and I've seen this same setup on a V8 Ex so I know it works.

From what ive heard, your stock exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive. I doubt putting on a new intake manifold would make as much of a difference as putting on the torque monster headers. Also, quarter mile times will differ for different cars at different tracks/elevations/etc. The people that have those headers swear by them. Just some food for thought, but I'm not trying to persuade you in one direction or another.

the single most restrictive part on your engine right now is the stock exhaust manifolds. increasing the rest of the intake and exhaust, adding a cam, or tuning the computer will only take you so far (not far)
the stock manifolds are restricting the power you can make RIGHT NOW.
The TM headers are the best $$$ spent when looking to build a high output 5.0L in your Exploder, either TM or custom.

i run a 16.3 in quarter....... havnt done much at all. ur running 17.7 stock??

JTSmith the 96-97.5 without P heads has the internal EGR feed, the 97.5+_ with P heads uses the external EGR pipe and the elbow blocks off the EGR feed from the intake. Something to think about for anyone with a non P head GT-40 5.0L Explorer when looking at Mustang elbows :)

When looking at Mustangs in the Junkyard, which kind would fit a 2000 5.0??

I think most would agree your best bet is a 98-01 upper intake.

:( dang I feel bad--

Mustang intake manifolds are a down grade.... they are talking about the aftermarket intakes that fit on mustangs.

IMO Tune + Cam > TM headers. If you wanna argue that i'm gonna think you're dumb and don't understand engines.
All though a good set of headers and a good intake manifold will only add to what a cam and tune will do.
The best way to mod an engine is to do it all at once, but obviously thats not gonna work for us regular joes. So i'd set up a plan of what you're gonna get for it and go down the list and get the prices and stuff. Then just save for the next mod.
If its the money you're worried about you could get the FMS headers they are still better then the stock ones, just not as good as the TMHs.

Mustang intake manifolds are a down grade.... they are talking about the aftermarket intakes that fit on mustangs.

IMO Tune + Cam > TM headers. If you wanna argue that i'm gonna think you're dumb and don't understand engines.
All though a good set of headers and a good intake manifold will only add to what a cam and tune will do.
The best way to mod an engine is to do it all at once, but obviously thats not gonna work for us regular joes. So i'd set up a plan of what you're gonna get for it and go down the list and get the prices and stuff. Then just save for the next mod.
If its the money you're worried about you could get the FMS headers they are still better then the stock ones, just not as good as the TMHs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203708
98-01 mustangs are the 4.6L modular engine, i don't think they will work on a 5.0 :confused:

I meant 98-01 "Explorer" intake.

But he was talking about taking an intake off a mustang for his 2000 explorer 5.0 and that would be a down grade

Correct which is why I said a 98-01 manifold would be better. :thumbsup:

Correct which is why I said a 98-01 manifold would be better. :thumbsup:

But if hes looking at mustangs in a junkyard :confused: and he pulled a mustang manifold off a 98-01 mustang i don't think it would bolt up

I was referrin to the 5.0 mustangs. But ok. I hardly ever see a 5.0 Explorer at the junkyards around here and the times I have its been stripped to nothing.

I was referrin to the 5.0 mustangs. But ok. I hardly ever see a 5.0 Explorer at the junkyards around here and the times I have its been stripped to nothing.

Wanna come to NE? i'll call around and find where they stuck my mounty and you can have my old one, and grab the roller rockers while you're at it.

Honestly right now , I can't make that far a drive. I appreciate it though. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back