Aiming Headlights

Seanmcg

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT V8
Hey,

I just bought my first truck, a 2000 Explorer V8 AWD.

When I went to adjust the headlights (they were blinding every person in front of me), I did not see any adjustment parts under those flaps on the radiator cover. I ended up having to take the whole grille off to get to the screws.

Do you think someone did a half-assed repair on the front end and didn't install the lights correctly? I did see metal sticks about 6" long with a little gear on them. They were connected but were underneath the lights, laying horizontal. Didn't look right to me.

I know the truck was in a front end collision before, but I honestly didn't care considering it only cost me $1000.

Also, does anybody know if I can purchased the adjusters by themselves or will I need to get new lamps?

Thanks,

Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The metal sticks are supposed to be accessible from under the flaps IIRC. I used a socket on there, really small one. Sagging rear end can throw the aim off a bit.

If the rods were horizontal, I think you got the half-assed part right. I can't think of how the rods would get horizontal on their own.

I just got a set of 2nd hand rods/adjusters from an EF vendor. They're in the mail now.

The metal sticks are the adjustment knobs. They are supposed to be in the little slot or place near the top of the headlamp under the flap so you can easily adjust them. If they aren't there, but you can see them in there somewhere just pull the headlamp assembly out and correct them. Once everything is where it's supposed to be a small socket (not sure on the size) should be all the is needed to adjust the level of the light.

There is a specific procedure for adjusting the level, but I just park about 25 feet from a garage door or whatever I want to use as a reference, and adjust the lights to about knee high.

I have the silverstar ultras and I forgot to adjust my new headlamp assembly after I installed it. I had about 10 people flash their brights at me on the way home at night.

I go out of a back country road with very little traffic at night and adjust my lights so the main part of the right beam lights the right side of the road and ditch at about 50 yards out, and the left beam lights the center of the lane a little lower than the right side. Hope this helps when you get the adjustment rods where you can access them.

I go out of a back country road with very little traffic at night and adjust my lights so the main part of the right beam lights the right side of the road and ditch at about 50 yards out, and the left beam lights the center of the lane a little lower than the right side. Hope this helps when you get the adjustment rods where you can access them.

I use a similar approach in addition to the wall reference. I just finished a HID projector retrofit so this thread is timely. :thumbsup:

Back