• Register Today It's free!

air conditioning help

k4e2n01234

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 5spd man. auto 4x4
how much frion or R-134a goes into a 92 explorer for a completely empty system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

92s have refrigerant not freon and its not expensive like freon

okay but that doesnt answer the question.

if i remember correctly it was around 60 bucks when they replaced my compressor and had to refill it. sorry about not ansering your question i didnt read that part.

well plus i just converted from the R-12 freon to the refrigerant R134a system yesterday just replace some fittings thats it so just so you know there still are the rare veichles that have the old system still in place.

wow i thought all vehicles after 91 had swiched to refrigerant my bad

General rule of thumb is about 80% of the amount of R12 needed for R134a.. Thus if its says 3 lbs of R12, you'll need 2.4 lbs of R134a. But I'd recommend getting a manifold guage set and using it instead of going based off the amount your putting in.

yeah my truck still had the R12 fittings on there, but anyway i dont know how much of the r12 was in there before also i had to put o rings behind the compressor cause there were none and it was leaking from there so im completely empty and its been that way for a while how long i dont know i purhased the truck from a guy who got all the routine maintenece done too late so im starting all the way over

yeah my truck still had the R12 fittings on there, but anyway i dont know how much of the r12 was in there before also i had to put o rings behind the compressor cause there were none and it was leaking from there so im completely empty and its been that way for a while how long i dont know i purhased the truck from a guy who got all the routine maintenece done too late so im starting all the way over

Your gonna need to have the remainder of the r12 properly evacuated and then retrofitted.

do you guys even read the post before commenting? it would probably help before you did.i have already emptied and retrofitted the r12 fitting with r134 fitting. my question is HOW MUCH REFRIGERENT DOES A 92 EXPLORER TAKE WHEN COMPLETELY EMPTIED. HOW MANY OZ. HOW MANY OF THE DIY CANS DOES IT TAKE?? im not getting it professioanlly done im gonna buy some cans and a gauge and do it myself. if you don't know dont say anything. i don't care if your compressor went out and you had to replace it and it cost 60 bucks i dont care about general rule of thumb i want a specific answer to my speciafic question if its not a 92 and has nothing to do with how many cans it takes to fill it i dont care.

On my 91.. It needs 1.75 lbs of R12 or 1.4 lbs of R134a. Don't forget to get oil for the compressor too.

go to walmart and buy a bunch of cans and whatever you dont use return

you guys are rediculous. do you really help anyone with your random answers?
(in a sarcastic voice:)
"well my 87 used 6.2 lbs of nitrous freon so you'll probably have to use 15lbs of computer duster, convert your system to the canadian specs, do 25 push ups and you should be good. Oh and don't forget to get the system purged of already emptied r12."

Get the gauges, add until the correct pressure. You can return cans not used, or just buy as you need them. Did you change the orifice tube?

As Blee1099 indicated, you also need to know how much oil (in terms of ounces) to add to the system. If you don't add the correct amount of oil, you will toast the compressor.

you guys are rediculous. do you really help anyone with your random answers?
(in a sarcastic voice:)
"well my 87 used 6.2 lbs of nitrous freon so you'll probably have to use 15lbs of computer duster, convert your system to the canadian specs, do 25 push ups and you should be good. Oh and don't forget to get the system purged of already emptied r12."

I provided you the right info.. 1.4 lbs of R134a.. If you can't figure that out then go to a pro.

What you need to do is stop thinking about how to get it done on the cheap, and think about doing it right. First, get off your wallet and BUY A GOOD MANUAL, all of the specs and capacities are in there. Some actually include the conversion figures. Remember this though, the DIY kits are meant for topping up the system, not for refilling from scratch.

When you swap from R-12 to 134, it's more than just changing the fittings. The least you need to do is flush the system of all residue of the R12 and the R-12 compatible lubricant. The 2 are not compatible and when combined form a muck that will ruin your system. Ideally, you would replace the hoses and expansion valve as well. Then you need to connect a vacuum pump to the low side fitting and draw down the system and hold it at 30" of vacuum for about 30-40 minutes. Vacuum will boil off any remaining contaminants (like moisture) as well as check for leaks. If it doesn't hold vacuum, you have a leak and all of your hard work will go out the window, along with your $$$.

Then make sure you have the correct amount of system lubricant (available at most auto parts stores). That's also in the manual. Now you can go ahead and put the refrigerant in it. Check with you local auto parts store and see if they have an idea of conversion. As previously mentioned, it's not 1 : 1 R-12 for R-134.

Or you can just stick R-134 in it like you describe and keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't cost you more than the truck's worth to fix it.

thank you very much it only took 17 posts and comments to get to a resonable answer. i'll do that. again thank you Alan_V.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So sorry you had to wait overnight for an answer. That must have been hard for you.

Back