Air dam road rash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air dam road rash

After pulling a sample for a UOA, I took a good look at my EE air dam.

The leading edge of this fiberglass air dam was pitted and chipped from "crap" flying up on the highway,

Spent the last hour sanding and prepping for some body filler ( tomorrow;s project ).

Anyone else have this road rash problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
After pulling a sample for a UOA, I took a good look at my EE air dam.

The leading edge of this fiberglass air dam was pitted and chipped from "crap" flying up on the highway,

Spent the last hour sanding and prepping for some body filler ( tomorrow;s project ).

Anyone else have this road rash problem?
I do, is caused by crap flying up from the the highway

I got chips after only having my airdam on for a month.

Sand and fill.

Not much else you can do considering where it is.

All finished ( until next outbreak of that insidious road rash ) ....

Attachments

• after repair.jpg
    after repair.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 259
  • painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 233

if you take it off and put it in the garage, then it wont get roadrash anymore...

fact of the matter is, its plastic, and plastic will lose to rocks and road debris given the fact its jsut inches above tha pavement..... so to answer your question aldive, everyone that drives their truck has roadrash.......

jimabena74 said:
if you take it off and put it in the garage, then it wont get roadrash anymore...

fact of the matter is, its plastic, and plastic will lose to rocks and road debris given the fact its jsut inches above tha pavement..... so to answer your question aldive, everyone that drives their truck has roadrash.......

I just know that you want to be accurate in your reply, but the air dam is made of fiberglass.

Rattle can is going to be a little more suseptable to paint chips than a professional job as well.

aldive said:
I just know that you want to be accurate in your reply, but the air dam is made of fiberglass.

ok fine... fiberglass works... all the airdams i have in my backyard are all plastic... and they have roadrash....

I had a rattlecan paintjob on mine, but right now am in the process of using fiberglass to mold it into my 99 bumper. So, it will be repaired before I paint it all "professionally."

ooh ooh i know how to fix this problem, i had a fiberglass airdam on my old ranger and i too got fed up with it, so i replaced it with a factory 4x4 air dam, but thats not the fix im talking about, you need have it professionally painted and then covered with the rock guard clear coat stuff, youll see it on the rocker panel of some newer cars , it has a textured surface to it, this will help, the other idea i had but never tried was, if youve ever seen the invisible bug shields or headlight covers, its like a clear vinyl you could put that over it and it should take the debris pretty well then you can just peel it off when you go to a show and put it back on when your done. let me know if you try any of these

yea I've been reading a few people dissatisfied with the EE airdam concerning general wear and tear. That's why I'm kinda considering the Xenon airdam instead. It only fits 95-98 bumpers but it's more resistant urethane construction (and steel bumper) should hold up better than fiberglass (and plastic bumper) against road debris. It looks nicer too- meaning more for your moola. But it sits a little higher than the EE airdam.
explorer-4dr-5886.jpg

~stu

XLoudFN97X said:
yea I've been reading a few people dissatisfied with the EE airdam concerning general wear and tear. That's why I'm kinda considering the Xenon airdam instead. It only fits 95-98 bumpers but it's more resistant urethane construction (and steel bumper) should hold up better than fiberglass (and plastic bumper) against road debris. It looks nicer too- meaning more for your moola. But it sits a little higher than the EE airdam.
explorer-4dr-5886.jpg

~stu

Looks nicer? That's questionable to say the least. And its not the airdams fault that the paint chips from rocks and what not.

Painted once in two yrs, not a chip one

Attachments

• Mvc-020s.jpg
    Mvc-020s.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 205

Hartman said:
Looks nicer? That's questionable to say the least. And its not the airdams fault that the paint chips from rocks and what not.
What I mean by "nicer" is that for less than the price of the EE dam, you get a much more crafted piece than a fiberglass band. And it SURE as hell is the airdams fault for chipping. Aldive said it himself it's not only the paint that was chipped but the actual fiberglass. Whose else's fault could it be, huh? Anyways, I'm just offering an alternative to anyone researching an EE airdam, as I am now. Most of EE's "appearance" stuff is overpriced crap.
~stu

Aldive said it himself?
I just blew a hole in my airdamn with my .40 cal glock, cheap piece of EE crap:(

spindlecone said:
Aldive said it himself?
I just blew a hole in my airdamn with my .40 cal glock, cheap piece of EE crap:(
I can't tell if this is what we call sarcasm, or is it just a thoughtless reply? Same goes for the sig, spindle

Rattle can paint doesn't provide much protection for the fiberglass. Had it been professionally painted, it wouldn't have reached the fiberglass. Not saying that there's anything wrong with rattle can, but you can't expect it to hold up as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLoudFN97X said:
I can't tell if this is what we call sarcasm, or is it just a thoughtless reply? Same goes for the sig, spindle
My point loud is that fiberglass is what it is, as are all phenolic type items, ding them with a rock, they will chip, run them into a curb, they will crack.
What happens is normal, in no way means EE airdamns are faulty.
As for my sig? never asked you to read my posts, is your option

Back