• Register Today It's free!

Alignment

Tally langlois

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone my name is Tally. I am posting on here to get some help with the alignment. It has a lot of play in the steering wheel an pulles to the right when driving. I really want to know what I need to replace to fix this I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4wd Eddie Bauer Edition. Anything would help even part recommendations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Tally!

It sounds like your 94 has some worn out steering parts!
Even from the factory these trucks can have some play in the steering wheel

There are ways to fix it for sure, but lets start with the basics.

How many miles on the old 94?
How are the tires? have you checked pressures?
Have you had any front end work done yet?

If you have a "few" miles on it, I would replace the drag link, the tie rod ends, and the wheel bearings(if there's any play in those parts), and check your ball joints, as well. And x2 on tire pressure, that can make it pull to one side or the other.

Welcome Tally!

It sounds like your 94 has some worn out steering parts!
Even from the factory these trucks can have some play in the steering wheel

There are ways to fix it for sure, but lets start with the basics.

How many miles on the old 94?
How are the tires? have you checked pressures?
Have you had any front end work done yet?
It has about 207,000 miles on it. has new tires that are freshly rotated. I haven't done anything to the front since I got it. Personally have no idea what to replace or check

It has about 207,000 miles on it. has new tires that are freshly rotated. I haven't done anything to the front since I got it. Personally have no idea what to replace or check
Jack up the front end and start checking everything for play or slop. All pivot points need to be verified. Check the obvious steering components as well as the rubber bushings at the beam pivots and radius arms. Use a prybar if needed. There should be no slop in anything.

If all is good, then make sure your tires pressures are the same, then it will be off to a good alignment shop. These vehicles are difficult to align properly. Most shops will "toe and go" and call it good. Luckily i know a guy at my local car x that was a dealer tech when these were new. He does all the ford alignments that come in. When he retires, im not sure what im gonna do.

Jack up the front end and start checking everything for play or slop. All pivot points need to be verified. Check the obvious steering components as well as the rubber bushings at the beam pivots and radius arms. Use a prybar if needed. There should be no slop in anything.

If all is good, then make sure your tires pressures are the same, then it will be off to a good alignment shop. These vehicles are difficult to align properly. Most shops will "toe and go" and call it good. Luckily i know a guy at my local car x that was a dealer tech when these were new. He does all the ford alignments that come in. When he retires, im not sure what im gonna do.
Dont forget bearing play! If it feels like the wheel is gonna fall off when moving up and down it's the wheel bearing and needs to be either re packed or replaced. I have align my xploder on alignment racks and they are not fun. Most big name shops will toe n go and not move camber or caster. Your pull to the right is likely a caster angle too far apart from each other. I would try and find a smaller shop and butter them up because it's a 2 hour job. Your adjusters may not have enough room to move everything into the green but you would figure it out when you go to align it. If they send you a print out save it and send us a pic here in the forum. I found a drag link assembly on eBay for 100 bucks or so. That's a easy job with hand tools. Ball joints not so much. It also could be the steering gear box. If it's not leaking you should be able to adjust some slack out of it. Radius arm bushings are a big one. Follow the large beam that runs towards the rear of the truck and on its but should be a bushing. If it's really cracked or parts of the rubber are missing that needs to be done too.

Back