All Lights Flickering + random Idle Lope | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Lights Flickering + random Idle Lope

94xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
Have done a search and cannot resolve issue, so here goes:

truck @ idle around 550 rpm in drive Headlights slightly flicker just a little dim syncronized with idle, then, almost randomly idle will drop for a second. Lights will dim alot as well during the idle "skip". Have run Snap-On code scanner and no codes. Have cleaned IAC and MAF. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ac or heater on?

fun with electricity

Heater, sometimes even with the light sensing rear view mirror it does it. Hmm..are you thinking low alternator output?

I'm thinking idler pulley or belt, if those check out ok, it could be the voltage regulator inside your alternator.

Idler and Tensioner both new, I will check belt and VR tonite, Thanks very much

well, i have a different motor and gen. explorer, im just throwing some ideas out,but i know when i have my heater on any setting my AC compressor runs, and since it needs recharged it cycles on and off randomly. That would explain the lope in the idle, as for the lights it could be related to that idle drop. Again, im not sure if your compressor works like mine.

well, i have a different motor and gen. explorer, im just throwing some ideas out,but i know when i have my heater on any setting my AC compressor runs, and since it needs recharged it cycles on and off randomly. That would explain the lope in the idle, as for the lights it could be related to that idle drop. Again, im not sure if your compressor works like mine.
good thinking, but this is with or without heat and I recharged my A/C so its not cycling, I'm sorry I didn't give all info I was at work and the boss is an a$$. My friend is coming over with a alternator tester in the morning(I'm really thinking it's the cause of the headlight flicker) but the idle drop is something else... I'm going to try a different MAF sensor since I have a spare from the wrecking yard.

everything being computer contyrolled it could be just an alternator. I had a similar experiance with an 86 cavalier v-6. my alternator gave up, ended up draining the battery at which point the ecm wasnt getting the necessay power to properly run the motor, and eventually everything died. BTW digital dashes from the 80's look crazy when they are struggling for power.

:shifty_ey you could just have a haunted explorer .....boooooooo:eek:

lol

you could just have a haunted explorer .....boooooooo

lol
Yeah well, I wish the stupid ghost would fix it and maybe buy gas once in a while. Sheeesh

I was having the same problem. When I was driving or revving it'd be fine, but at idle the lights would sometimes dim off then come back up. I replaced the alternator and added an extra wire from teh alternator to battery. No more dimming problems... AT ALL

I was having the same problem. When I was driving or revving it'd be fine, but at idle the lights would sometimes dim off then come back up. I replaced the alternator and added an extra wire from teh alternator to battery. No more dimming problems... AT ALL
Good to hear, sort of, I think I'm gonna buy me a voltage regulator and a brush set.

Thank you

Just an update: alternator tester light flickers between good and bad when there's higher amp draw, so I'm thinking the alt is pooched. called around today a rebuild kit is $56. a rebuilt alt w/2 year warranty is $127. I'm kind of stuck on which way to go.

Let me find what ebay seller I got my alternator from. It's a 130 amp (up from 95 which I had), was cheaper then buying it from Ford or Autozone, has a 1 year warranty, bolted in with no problems and is a Motorcraft alternator. I believe the Limited Edition Explorer's had 130 amp... give me a few minutes to find the seller.

Thanks for the tip blacksheep but shipping to Canada would double the price

No worries man, It's mostly the delema: pay for a warranty or tool around for a half hour or so. Heck retail on the alts up here is $215, but I have good contacts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back