Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spoke to ASP today and gave them the go ahead to have the custom pulleys made in 8 rib.
I think they said the crank pulley would be .01 or .001 larger, cant remember which one it was, but it was insignificant. They are going to make a pulley, then weld it on to what's left of the old one after cutting it down.

So the other pulleys will be stock sizes too, I am having them make the power steering, water pump, and an alternator pulley. They said they thought the alternator pulley is the same as the 4.6 so that one might be "off the shelf".
The Alternator pulley I got and grinded down is working just fine but I wanted to get one from them and compare, and have a spare.

I will post pictures and more information when I receive them, I did not even ask for a turn around time. When you find someone who will do custom work like this, you have to just let them do their job and be patient.

Great John, good to hear.

Was there one person that you spoke with that would be best to ask about the PS pulley? I'd like to get that one also for mine, and ask about the crank pulley. They will be familiar with the SN95 Mustang crank pulleys, those are common in under drive 6-rib versions. I'll ask them if they will make one at the stock 94/95 302 size(6.5"), with 8-ribs.

I may have an 8-rib alternator pulley already, I think I got one with an alternator I bought many years ago. I'll see if I have it and how it measures up. I wonder why there are some alignment issues with the SOHC(mine had to be filed down also to line up).

Edit; spoke with Lee at ASP, ordered the PS and crank pulleys. He said even given the holidays it will be before the end of the year for these two(I told him no rush for me).

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Asp

Lee was the guy I spoke to as well, he seems to know his stuff.
I love dealing with companies who will accept custom orders, and that have such great personnel running their operations.

So you will have the pulleys soon, have you started a build thread yet? If so please let us know. I loved reading through the thread with the two trucks being made into one. Great ingenuity!

I love dealing with companies who will accept custom orders, and that have such great personnel running their operations.

So you will have the pulleys soon, have you started a build thread yet? If so please let us know. I loved reading through the thread with the two trucks being made into one. Great ingenuity!

Lee knew his stuff, he said he's making parts all day long.

I'm hoping to make solid progress this Winter on a lot of things. But my Mountaineer thread will be later after I get my Explorer and Mark VII moving along a bit. I have had my Explorer in the garage to rebuild the 5R55E for a while. I'm off this week so I'll get going on it for real. Wish me luck.

12.83 in a Supercharged Explorer

So I made it to Atco Raceway for Friday night street night again.
Got 10 runs in.
Finally beat my previous best time of 12.93
New best time - 12.83

DSC03601.jpg

Excellent, nice smooth run with no drama. Enjoy that and have fun on Black Friday.

I've got two 1/8 mile tracks around here, but they are very old with poor maintenance or features. I think Bristol is about the closest 1/4 mile to me, which is a good 2+ hours away. My best testing location is a long 1/2 mile stretch of interstate, and it's slightly uphill. It looks flat but it's not quite. I think it hurt times about 3 tenths the last time I tried it about ten years ago, with my stock Mercury.

Cecil County Raceway

I may be going to Cecil County Raceway next Saturday, Atco Raceway is not opening in December(track repairs).

It looks like the same if not a little shorter of a ride as MapleGrove Raceway is from my house. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.

Cecil County Dragway

Looks like Cecil County Dragway is a go tomorrow. 8am to 4pm.
Can't wait to see how the track is!

Cecil county Dragway

Cecil County was awesome!
Track looks like it is down hill, I was told that it is not. lol
Got 7 runs in, could have had at least one more if I stayed all the way until 4:00
Best run 12.88

I plan to be there next Saturday too, we will see.

John, have you received an email from ASP yet, for your pulleys? I have one for the two I had Lee make, billed today, so they should arrive soon. Cool new parts.

Pulleys

I have not heard from ASP yet, it may be that the other different ones I am having made might take a little longer. I sent them 4 pulleys and am having 4 pulleys made/customized.
I will keep an eye out for an email from them.
If you get anything, take pictures and post them so I can drool while waiting for mine. LOL

They should have the PS pulley for yours then, but your crank pulley might be a little more odd.

That's kind of how mine is old hat, I went through the issue of the balancer with the pulley on it already. I'm going to have to have one or two more made to take the SN95 crank pulleys. I don't need them yet, but those I'd like to be better than the OEM type I did before. I'll hunt an SFI unit hopefully, that has the needed meat on the back to accept a trigger wheel.

I'll take the pictures when I get them here.

Explorer Video

I was recorded at Cecil county last weekend, awesome! I had no idea this video was going to be made and posted to youtube. I am glad it did though!
I never am able to see how my truck launches. Looks pretty straight now, still need to get more tire under there.

Today I was there again and got 8 runs in and drove it home. Still have gas left.

Great video.
You make it look so easy.

Excellent, it works well.

I saw that video on the 12th via facebook!

Explorer Trunk

I was using a plastic container and a milk crate(see first picture) to carry my racing gear/few tools and Rainx to the track. You can not have anything loose inside the vehicle when racing for obvious reasons, so I would remove them and leave them in a parking spot while I made my runs.

Sometimes when the tracks were really crowded, people would park in font of my things when left in a parking spot.
With that in mind and sometimes traveling to different tracks, I wanted to find a way that I could leave all my stuff inside the truck. I needed a container with a securable top that was tall enough for the Rainx bottles and other stuff I bring along. I needed a trunk for my Explorer.

So I found this plastic container that is just the right size, and it has latches and even a hole for a lock (if needed) to keep things closed in. It had wheels and a handle that I removed since I would not be needing them. I bolted it down with 3/8's bolts and aluminum straps that I made. Weighs in at 16 lbs empty. I didn't weigh the whole thing when full but it probably is about the same as the rear seats I removed(around50lbs). The good thing is I wont have to worry about leaving my stuff in a parking space anymore.

1 Cargo.jpg
2 Cargo.jpg
3 Cargo.jpg
4 Cargo.jpg

I'm always amazed how fast you can do things.
I feel like I'm always waiting for something.

Fast

I'm always amazed how fast you can do things.
I feel like I'm always waiting for something.

You got your cylinder heads on already, I thought you were not going to do it until next year. That was pretty fast.

The injectors I have been wanting for two years now. lol.
My truck is fast for an Explorer, I am slow.

8 Rib pulleys are on the way, should see them Friday 18th.

I already got the 6 new injectors that I ordered.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429697&page=2

Plan to be racing the 19th, weather permitting.

Plan to be installing the new parts while on Christmas Break.

Good looking injectors, that 47lbs range is about what I have in mind for my V8. I hope those hit close to the 80% mark you want.

I have the two pulleys Lee made for me. The crank pulley looks right, I need to find my custom balancer to check it with.

I'm worried a bit about the PS pulley though. It looks like they added the extra ribs to the backside, not the front. The offset on each side from hub to edge looks odd. I'm hoping it's just the way I'm seeing it comparing to the stock SOHC engine. I have to strip my engine soon anyway, I'll try to get the belt removed and R&R the PS pulley to see.

Back