Almost, picked up our car yesterday, please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost, picked up our car yesterday, please help

Smoktya

Reaction score
City, State
Bethlehem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 4WD XLT
I will try and make this quick. Our Explorer finally arrived 5/10 at the dealership, on a 3/4 order. We went to go pick it up yesterday and everything was going well until they had to look at my trade-in again. It really stinks because we already transferred the equipment from my old car to the Ex, and the wife is really heart-broken. It has been deemed that my 2006 Chrysler Town and Country with 61K, needs a new engine. I am not kidding you that during our 9.5 week wait, we have had no issues and this issue just arised. The dealership is picking it up today to do some more testing to make sure it is an engine knock, but now they said they will have to take 3-4K off my trade-in value. I know they are not going to put a new engine in that car, it isn't worth it. So i found engines between 600-900 with varying miles close to what ours had. I know they can do this with there hands tied behind their backs and i don't want to get ripped off. Please help with your thoughts or experiences. i have never seen my wife so distraught in my life. i was going to offer them to take 2K off, i can live with that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If ( a BIG "if") your trade really needs a new engine (and you must know the truth if it does) than take the $3-4,000 dollar hit, and cut your losses, and move on to the new Explorer.

Happy wife.....happy life!

Please help with your thoughts or experiences.

1. Why aren't you pressing your Chrysler dealer for coverage under the powertrain warranty? 61K....ummm either maintenance has been poor or it's a warranty issue.

2. or..don't trade the vehicle...buy the Ex without the trade, drop in a junk yard motor, and sell it yourself on ebaymotors or cars.com.

3. or...take the hit and move on.

Personally, I would hang onto #1 like a dog with a bone...unless it's your fault.

You say everything is going great (no knocks) and then the day you go to trade it in they say you need a new engine! Did I miss something?

Please elaborate. Is the car exhibiting real palpable issues? Or, is this the dealer trying to pull a fast one on you?

Could be something as simple as needing fresh gas. May have received a tank of poor fuel.

Guys, i am going to be honest with you. This car has had a pinging noise coming from the motor, almost from the day we bought the car 6 years ago, but have been told it is no issue and almost all the T&C's have it. (my sister is law has the same one, a year younger) with that same noise. It has been maintained well and i am not lying when i tell you that this new noise is extremely recent. My wife mentioned it to me on Monday and it is just getting progressively worse. If you listen to the engine from below, it just sounds like something is grinding. Not good, and i can't believe that it is happening the week we are trading it in. I will let you all know what happens tonight.

Guys, i am going to be honest with you. This car has had a pinging noise coming from the motor, almost from the day we bought the car 6 years ago, but have been told it is no issue and almost all the T&C's have it. (my sister is law has the same one, a year younger) with that same noise. It has been maintained well and i am not lying when i tell you that this new noise is extremely recent. My wife mentioned it to me on Monday and it is just getting progressively worse. If you listen to the engine from below, it just sounds like something is grinding. Not good, and i can't believe that it is happening the week we are trading it in. I will let you all know what happens tonight.

Cut your loses. Move on. Time is money!

I will let you all know what happens tonight.

Seriously, don't walk away from several thousand $$ without vigorously pursuing this with Chrysler. Don't let your emotions about picking up your Ex cloud your judgement.

I feel bad for you!

You could get a second opinion from a local garage.

I would get a quote to sell it through a company like Carmax. It might be worth it to bypass the dealer all together. Unfortunately I don't think there is a Carmax in PA.

I would take the loss, but be vey firm with the dealer and keep it at the 3k mark, not more.

What are they really saying the cause of the motor swap is? Theres no one on the planet that can tell me I need a new this or that without a complete explanation.

I would have my truck into a GM dealer and diagnosed or a local garage for another opinion.

For my trade I fixed a few things (didn't spend a great deal of money) to ensure my trade went smooth. I didn't lock the trade value in at the time of negotiation and they wanted to reduce the amount of the trade (it was an older SUV, gas prices - yada yada). I said no problem, take the trade off and I will make up the difference. This got their attention and I got a call back immediately from the manager and we negotiated a price I could live with.

Do your homework in the meantime and get it looked at elsewhere so you really understand the issue and your options. I could have easily gotten another 1500-3000 by selling it on craigslist etc. but with the $1500 customer rebate, the sales tax and the hassle - it worked in both of our interests to come to an agreement. I think in the case where folks are ordering X's at or near invoice the dealerships make their profit on the trade...

This is usually a scare tactic. Put a thousand miles on the X and bring it back. They will quickly honor the origianl offer because the value of the truck will drop significantly after that.

I traded a Murano with a blown head gasket and they gave me $5K for it. After 2 days they called me back to try to renigotiate. I told them I was out of town and would be in on Monday. Took a trip to Miami with X and put 1k miles on the car and took it back. They honored the original deal.

Well, it is just a Water Pump and power steering pump (it's weird how they just went bad together), but it sounds unbelievably horrible. They took $500 from what they were going to give me (won't complain because the side mount engines are hard to work on), but i am picking it up tonight and i can't be happier that it is not the engine. It couldn't be, i have taken very good care of it, even using Valvoline Synthetic at every oil change and a quality oil filter. Is it 5 o'clock yet?

Well, it is just a Water Pump and power steering pump (it's weird how they just went bad together), but it sounds unbelievably horrible. They took $500 from what they were going to give me (won't complain because the side mount engines are hard to work on), but i am picking it up tonight and i can't be happier that it is not the engine. It couldn't be, i have taken very good care of it, even using Valvoline Synthetic at every oil change and a quality oil filter. Is it 5 o'clock yet?

Good for you!! I hope you enjoy everything.

Back