Aluminum Heads | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aluminum Heads

The bolt patternare are the same look up exhaust gaskets, I just bought some for my TMHs , just dif size ports BOLT holes are the same, there must be someone that have tried this.I am sure it is just the angle of the plugs and

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jt thomas: Mustangs are not Explorers. Explorers are not Mustangs. Two totally different vehicles. The routing on the primary tubes on a Mustang header all go on a DOWNWARDS angle BACK. On the Explorer, a MOST of the tubes actually go UP, then BACK, then DOWN. That gives the rest of the primaries room to clear the plugs.

I did find ONE problem...I need to find a `96 Dipstick tube...it had a slightly different shape to clear the spark plug.....

OR I'll run a Lokar dipstick...

Ryan

Attachments

• TMHonTWDipstick.jpg
    TMHonTWDipstick.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 343
  • TMHonTW2.jpg
    TMHonTW2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 339
  • TMHonTW1.jpg
    TMHonTW1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 333
  • TMHonTW3.jpg
    TMHonTW3.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 371

what heads are they looks like the spark plugs clear the tubes better then the GTP do

Spdrcer34 What camshaft do you have. I am going to try a comp cam 35-512-8 in my 2000 MM D- driver

Those are Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads.

Why does nobody listen to me....

I had those same headers on my old GT40P's....no issues there either..other than gaskets failing.

Those are Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads.

Why does nobody listen to me....

I had those same headers on my old GT40P's....no issues there either..other than gaskets failing.

:thumbsup: I am listening to YOU . Why Trick wedge heads What do u think of the AFR 165s with the 35-512-8 conp cam. I am getting a computer with the PATS taken out so i can make a setup to run on a engine dyno/ My old race buddy has a engine dyno and he foung 50hp on my 428 Just by tuning when we had it on the dyno 596hp 585FPT @ 6000 RPM,this was back in the 1990s I talk to him last week and he is running 10.20s in his 1969 SS 428 mustang. His brother is a pro stock driver. I am going to make a few pull befor we rebuild my 5.0 JUST to see how much power a realy gane. Probley try a few cams and injectors and HENSEN TUNES!! WHAT CAM DO U HAVE!! LATER PHIL

I just installed a TrickFlow stage 1...

Depending on how I like it I may upgrade to a custom cam from Ed Curtis...

I just installed a TrickFlow stage 1...

Depending on how I like it I may upgrade to a custom cam from Ed Curtis...

what about the Lobe Separation (degrees): 112 do u think it will work with the SD. I heard u need 114 or more? JMO

prw....I think that is enough of the thread hijack....send me a PM, or start a new thread to ask your questions.

Ryan

I ws thinking about bending it towards the #8 primary, then cutting and welding the 'tab' to secure it to THAT bolt, but I figured it would look like crap, and I bought the Lokar dipstick yesterday.

Eventually I will have to buy one for my 4R70W to match...

Does it ever end?
Ryan

Lokar dipstick tube installed....

Attachments

• LokarDipstick.jpg
    LokarDipstick.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 287
  • LokarDipstick1.jpg
    LokarDipstick1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 279

I haven't started the engine yet, but I am going to have to keep a pair of Mechanix gloves in the glove box in case I need to check the oil when the car is still hot. The handle is made of aluminum..and it is within about 1/2" of the primary.

I haven't started the engine yet, but I am going to have to keep a pair of Mechanix gloves in the glove box in case I need to check the oil when the car is still hot. The handle is made of aluminum..and it is within about 1/2" of the primary.

Would a spark plug wire sock work,

It looks like u need ceramic boot wires and some socks. It sure worked good for me. Wires look close to the headers in the photo

..okay...quit with the ceramic boot crap...

When you have had them on for 1 or 2 years,let me know.

..okay...quit with the ceramic boot crap...

When you have had them on for 1 or 2 years,let me know.

I have talk to if few guy with vets that used them for over 4 years with no problems other wires for them would only last a week. Sorry for piss u off just try to help. I was layed up for some time with bypass did I lot of reading on this fourm sure lot of guys get pist off easy!!! Sounds like the pits at the dirt track. I was thinking about buying a company that does a lot work for explorers. Not now I think some of u guy would be hard to work with. Maybe that's why he is selling. I have been working and drag racing cars for 40 plus years. Some of u guy don't have much hands on but u think u do. Lot of good info here but lots of bull to. I think I will stay on my old site I am done!!! By the way I only drive and race fords

Some of u guy don't have much hands on but u think u do.

You know, you are right.

I HAVE NO CLUE when it comes to working on the Explorer. I'm nothing more than a internet wanna-be....DREAMING of what could be done to these vehicles....but never doing it myself. I'm afraid of getting my hands dirty. And I've never built anything.

Maybe I should listen to old guys like you, and that way when I DO get the courage to do my own work, I can learn to do things the 'old way' and never even try to evolve. And I won't ever want to learn anything new.

Oh, and another thing: If you are going to abbreviate Corvette, it's spelled Vette.

Ryan

Back