An attempt @ adding sync to a PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

An attempt @ adding sync to a PIU

MrDot: I wasn't interested in hooking up the rear aux a/c. No voice button on the steering wheel. Will add that at some other time.

No error codes relating to the radio install. BCM I swapped out for the use of standard keyfobs. Once again, all of these modules came out of a XLT. Swapping over the shifter to the floor shifter next. Been driving around with the unit working like it should!

Thanks to all of the information on here and pulling up schematics I was able to pull off the swap. Now, I am going to look in to disabling the Sirrius radio garbage.

This thread was kindve a brain dump as I was working, but in the other thread I have a bit more details about the complete install and where I sourced the wires and what parts I ended up using:

Guide: How to add Ford MFT/Sync to a Non-Sync Police Interceptor

The E-911 issue for me went away when I upgraded the APIM to sync 3, as did an intermittent issue that I had where the ACM would not shutdown and would drain the battery. I never did find a reason why E-911 would not work with MFT. I was going to post an update in the other thread with the final state of this and some more recommendations to actually go with Sync3 over MFT or Sync2 as it works much better and you can save the step of needing to wire in the GPS module unless you absolutely want the compass on the instrument panel.

The APIM has to be reprogramed for the features you car has, it will not detect other modules like heated or air conditions seats or the color changing led module, these have to be enabled with forscan. In my case I had to disable heated seats and rear AC as my car was not equipped with it and I found it a bit annoying that it showed up on the screen.

You mentioned that you want to switch the column shifter out for the floor shifter, I think you a crazy for doing this as I prefer the column, but will share that the BCM on my 2014 has the option for the regular explorer shift module and the adjustable transmission modes. I do believe that you can install this by getting all of the parts, extending the interlock circuits from the column shifter and sourcing the buses from the usual places and then enabling it in the BCM and PCM. What I have not checked is if there is an engine and transmission configuration code that supports the interceptor hardware or if you would have to select the 3.5 NA... this may or may not have weird impacts as some of the interceptor "police" performance functions are tied in with that configuration.

The only thing required to get the Microphone working is to run two wires for the microphone across the dash harness passed the BCM up the pilar and into the headliner which is quite a chore.

Back