an S.D., F150, E320, and a "Project X" samich | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

an S.D., F150, E320, and a "Project X" samich

...You guessed it, the Mercedes lost this time..:eek:

...I decided to take the X to pick up some cabinets up off the 5 and Paramount Blvd...I was strolling back down the 5 at 12 noon in the number 1 lane, sun was out and the roads were dry, as we came to a stop at Pioneer Blvd...

...I was sitting there for maybe an 8-10 count when I heard another vehicle get hit...Since my drivers window was the only one down and I didn't hear any brakes, I assumed that a car clipped another vehicle to my right...

...Just about then it happened, a really soft boom...Apparently the S.D. did not even attempt to stop as he plowed into the stopped F150 doing about 40 mph...He in turn smacked the stopped Mercedes E320 hard which pushed him into me...Luckily I was in the X and had enough weight and distance for the little car in front of me...

...The S.D. suffered mainly front bumper damage...The F150 had both bumpers, tailgate, and front end damage...The E320 on the other hand crumpled as he met Mr. Trailer hitch...

...The way it was shaped it wedged under my hitch and part of the hood enveloped my receiver and was under my bumper...His hood folded and his grill, front bumper, lights, trunk folded and ****ed, rear bumper, rt. rear quarter panel and lights were toast...He drove off after the report sitting up straight by the steering wheel so he could look over the folded hood...

...The Chp showed up about 1 minute after the initial incident in the north bound lane and spouted over the PA "If no one is physically injured move the group over to the right emergency lane...We had 5 Chp officers taken the reports and I was last due to no real damage...I had to laugh as the I was sitting in the X doing the report with the patrolman and he asked me, "Is this an F150 or F250 while he had my Paperwork in his hand...:wtf:

...I must say they were the most helpful and nicest guys I could have hoped for to show up...

I had called a buddy of mine that I knew was up by Stic-o's house picking up a friend of ours from Yuma, and told him to bring the camera as mine is in the other truck...He got there late do to the traffic jam and we only got a pic of the S.D. that started it...:thumbdwn:

...This could have been a whole nother story if I would have taken my Ranger as I normally do..;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess the guy in the E320 did'nt think to smash down the hood ala NASCAR style?

glad to hear you weren't hurt and that the X is ok too. Had me thinking the worst when i saw the title.

..lol, I couldn't even believe they let the guy drive off like that...:confused:

...It was really uneventful on my end and I was really glad to be in my X...:biggthump...Now, as long as the insurance companies have no problems with the chp reports that come out in a week, and my insurance don't go up for some stupid reason, it's all good..:D

glad that you were ok

...Thank you Sam...:D

...I have AAA and they we have spoke 3 times over this accident already(their persistence, not mine)..:rolleyes:

....My rear bumper is slightly tweeked a little more than usual and the left side now is snug against the hatch..The hatch still opens fine with a little rub on the bumper plastic and they are wanting me to have it fixed...The hitch is bent from the trails and doesn't look like it tweeked any more and the trailer plug which is welded to the bottom of the bumper is bent back...

...I know if I have these items fixed, they would be the first thing that gets wacked on trail...Any thoughts???

I would BFH the bumper back into place and not worry about the hitch. And tell the insurance everything is fine. Cuase any check that there gonna cut ya is gonna probably raise your rate.

Back