...And a simple job turns into a nightmare (long) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...And a simple job turns into a nightmare (long)

Curse The Sky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Ok, maybe not a nightmare, but it certainly was a mess.

I did an oil change on my fiancee's 2003 Malibu. 20 minutes flat, no problems, nothing unexpected. Then, I decided that I'd might as well change the oil in the Sport Trac while I was dirty anyway.

I figured that since it was higher off the ground, I won't even need to jack it up (first mistake), since I'd only be under there for a few minutes anyway. So, I got everything ready, dove under, and started looking for the drain plug. Found it, 13mm socket (same as the Malibu), good to go. It took a bit of tugging, but it eventually came free. Cool.

Then came the first dilemma - where the hell is the oil filter? I looked around from the driver's side, passenger side, directly in front, down from the top, etc. By the time I finally found it (crawling in from behind the passenger wheel) I could have easily looked it up and saved myself the trouble. Oh well. So, given the very little clearance that I had, I started tugging away with the only arm that could reach it. It wouldn't budge. No big deal, I'll just go grab an oil filter wrench... except that all we had on hand was the old "cap" type, and it was for a much smaller filter. Ugh.

So, $30 and a trip to Sears later, I had both a strap style and some kind of "cap" style universal / adjustable wrenches. The cap style was a bit of a pain to get positioned (again, no clearance), but it did the job. The previous owner must have either forgotten to oil the gasket or way over-tightened the filter, because it started to crush in by the time it finally came loose.

That right there SHOULD have been my clue. But, instead, I continued on as usual. I grabbed the new filter, filled it partially with oil, oiled the gasket, and dove back under to install it. Again, clearance was tight, and I couldn't really see what I was doing (another mistake), but I managed to get it seated and tightened it up. I popped the oil plug back in, filled it up with 5 qts of Mobile 1 5w-30, and did a few quick start-stops as usual. When I started it up to let it run, I heard some strange bubbling noise. Weird. I got out to go listen to the engine when I noticed... OH F&#$! Five quarts of oil were leaking out all over the ground.

I immediately knew what the problem was and started kicking myself for it. Shut the engine down, grab some cat litter, find something to lay on top of, and dive back under. Sure enough, oil from the filter area had sprayed everywhere. I pulled the filter back off and just like clockwork, two gaskets landed on the ground. Yay.

I did some quick clean-up with paper towels, then off to the auto parts store one more time. $40 later, and we're back in business. This time I was extra careful to make sure that nothing would obstruct the oil filter from making a good seal. Of course, now I wasn't sure how much oil was left in the engine, so I had to add a quart at a time and check the dipstick. It took about 4-4.5 quarts to show full.

Now came the final problem. When I took it for a test drive, it smoked pretty good. The exhaust definitely got a decent amount of oil on it, and even though I mopped up what I could with paper towels, it's very difficult to get the top of the exhaust or get all of the oil off of what I could reach for that matter. I'm hoping that it will all just burn off and there won't be a fire or some kind of other bad omen in my future.

So, what was supposed to be a 20 minute oil change turned into a three hour ordeal (due to problems and having to run out to the store twice). The truck smells like burnt oil inside, and I'm nervous to let my fiancee drive it in fear that it could somehow catch fire or something. What a day.

I'm not an automotive expert by any means, but I've been doing my own basic maintenance for years. I've done dozens of oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, various filters and other fluids, a starter here, a fuel pump there, etc. It's so funny how one little issue that I should have known about could cause so much chaos. Oh well, at least it was only $40 and some clean-up time rather than some $300 part, or worse.

Ever have one of those days?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the time i did my oil than on start up noticed that i was leaking fuel. two days later and 60 or so bucks i was back on the road. least yours was only a couple hours!!

I got a claw-style filter wrench. Works great on my parents' Cadillacs too.

FilterWrench1.JPG

Couple weeks ago I changed the oil in the wife's Taurus. No biggie, done it a hundred times (got it new, 140,000 miles on it now, oil change every 5000, you do the math).
Lately the filters have been coming loose so I put the filter wrench on to snug it a little bit extra, it arcs against the starter terminal, WTF, sparks everywhere. Disconnect battery, get the wrench off the filter, start it up, WTF, oil everywhere. Hmm, gasket still on the old filter. Pull new filter off to find that the sparks had burned a hole in the filter. Get a new filter and it took FOUR more quarts to fill it.

Get a can or two of brake parts cleaner and hose down the manifold and exhaust to get the oil off.

Joe, the tire looks to be the base for a clear glass table ..........or either he's been practicing his pit crew moves again ! LOL :D

Sky, at some point in their self-servicing routines I think everyone has either had the gasket experience of just plain forgot to replace the drain plug before filling the engine with oil again.:(

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to me a day before having to take my trac on a 400 mile trip to my parents house. Talk about getting your nerves up...

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I think the biggest issue here is that I've been experiencing (and am being treated for) anxiety lately. The dumbest little things that I could normally shrug off will bug me to no end.

For example, I'm so worried that I somehow ended up over-filling the engine with oil, to the point where even though I've checked the dipstick several times, I still fear that I'm getting an inaccurate reading due to not being level, not being warmed up, etc. Who knows. The oil on the exhaust is the same way - I know it's not that big of a deal, but I can't seem to let it go.

So once again, thanks for the encouragement. :)

Ive done the same on Loki. Go to fire it up, no oil pressure. Freak out, start looking around, discover the drain bolt is in its same spot, next to the hood latch, where i always set it, and my drain pan is almost overflowing. Then i curse to the sky because i just wasted 5 quarts of synthetic. Only done it once.......now i always check the dipstick instead of assuming by memory 5+1 quarts (oversized oil filter)

i just watched a movie (the mechanic) in which an old saying was the theme of the movie. it's the same old saying ive pretty much based my life on. the saying is "victory loves preparation". even with somethign as mundane as an oil change in your garage, i always make sure that i have everything i need including proper fitting tools, and stuff i need just in case i hit some snags along the way. not that im perfect, but ive been the idiot enough times where i have to keep visiting the same store over and over because i happen to not have something on hand. preparation never fails!

LOL reminds me of an old chain email going around about how men and women change oil differently. Women take it to jiffy lube, leave 15 minutes later with their oil changed for a cost of $30 or whatever... guy goes through a series of missing tools, beer runs, forgotten drain plugs, bump on the head, etc. and it ends up costing him hundreds of dollars plus an insurance copay :).

Seriously though, that sucks. For such a simple job sometimes it can be extra complicated it seems. One time I was changing the oil on my old explorer similiar to JohnnyO's experience, thought everything was just fine, put in the 6 quarts of Mobil 1 (about $30 right there), got o fire her up and within seconds start hearing a loud noise like air escaping. Shut off the vehicle right away and look under the vehicle to see mobil 1 EVERYWHERE, within about a 6 foot radius. In just a few seconds it had completely spit out all the oil in the engine. Culprit? The old oil filter had left the o-ring attached to the bracket, and I forgot to check like I usually do. When I put the new filter on, now there was two o-rings and one wasnt firmly attached to anything so of course it just acted as a vent and all the oil shot out. I was suprised how quickly the engine dumped all the oil though, but pissed as to how much got wasted and it took me a long time to clean it all up!

One time I was changing the oil on my old explorer similiar to JohnnyO's experience, thought everything was just fine, put in the 6 quarts of Mobil 1 (about $30 right there), got o fire her up and within seconds start hearing a loud noise like air escaping. Shut off the vehicle right away and look under the vehicle to see mobil 1 EVERYWHERE, within about a 6 foot radius. In just a few seconds it had completely spit out all the oil in the engine. Culprit? The old oil filter had left the o-ring attached to the bracket, and I forgot to check like I usually do. When I put the new filter on, now there was two o-rings and one wasnt firmly attached to anything so of course it just acted as a vent and all the oil shot out. I was suprised how quickly the engine dumped all the oil though, but pissed as to how much got wasted and it took me a long time to clean it all up!

That, word for word, is exactly what happened to me, lol. The sound of air escaping and everything, AND the six-foot radius puddle of oil. Amazing how fast it can all squirt out.

And thus my $30, 20-minute oil change turned into a $100 (oil filter wrench, 2x 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic, and two filters), three-hour-long oil change.

It's all good now, though. It did smoke / smell like burning oil for about a week, but now life is good. Thanks again everyone.

here was the joke I was looking for (replace "Peak automotive" with "Jiffy Lube" or whatever the heck is near you):

OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR WOMEN:
(1) Pull up to Peak Automotive when it is time for your next oil change
(2) Relax in a massage chair with a glass of wine, soda, coffee, or cappuccino while reading the latest Oprah, Parenting, or Shape Magazine or working on your laptop.
(3) 45 minutes later write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle where the fluids have been topped off, car has been washed, tires rotated, and courtesty inspection completed.

Money Spent
Oil Change: $34.95 (non-synthetic oil change)
Wireless access: FREE
Glass of wine, soda, or coffee: FREE
Courtesy Inspection: FREE
Massage in chair: FREE
Total cost of peace of mind knowing your car is maintained: PEAKFULLY PRICELESS

OIL CHANGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEN:
(1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00
(2) Stop by liquor store and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.
(3) Open a beer and drink it.
(4) Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands. Jack car up.
(5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
(6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
(7) Place drain pan under engine.
(8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
(9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
(10) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on face and arms in process. Cuss.
(11) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
(12) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
(13) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
(14) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
(15) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties.
(16)Drink a beer.
(17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener work.
(18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it to recycle.
(19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
(20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
(21) Walk to liquor store; buy beer.
(22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
(23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
(24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
(25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
(26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
(27) Drink beer.
(28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
(29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
(30) Drink beer.
(31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
(32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
(33) Begin cussing fit.
(34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
(35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992).
(36) Beer.
(37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
(38) Beer.
(39) Beer.
(40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
(41) Beer.
(42) Lower car from jack stands.
(43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
(44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
(45) Beer.
(46) Test drive car.
(47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
(48) Car gets impounded.
(49) Call loving wife, make bail.
(50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money Spent
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $40.00
Total: $4165.00 -- But you know the job was done right!

That is a SCREAM!!!!! I KNOW that guy!

Back