another 4406 install thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

another 4406 install thread

Figured as much. I was wondering about your ice runs.

I pulled the carpet back, and just ran a bead of permatex around the gasket. The seal was not bad, but a few areas were not forming to the body pan all the well. Pretty good seal now though. Im sure no air will be blowing thru.

I'm trying to get that knob off the shifter (Pulls off). Holy crap its tight. I'm up to 275 degrees in the oven now. I tried bolting the lever to a piece of wood, and have bent the lag bolt pulling on that shift knob. Still no joy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its off. 275 degrees might have been a bit aggressive, but not bad. Theres a bit of a line in the shifter from the oven grate.

The knob was so soft, it came off with a light pull. I'd say more time at 250 degrees would have been best.

I wont get finished today, the permatex isnt setting very fast because of the cold. No point in making a mess on the underside of the carpet. In a couple of hours the carpet will go back, and I'll get the message center and seat back in place for work tomorrow.

Here's what the trimmed F-150 outer boot looks like. I trimmed it as close to the console as possible. The less leg rubbing, the better.

Tim , cough, cough...message center is in properly...cough,cough.

I think I'll keep my eye's out for a boot that's narrower, maybe I can increase leg room a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_00000117.jpg
    IMG_00000117.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_00000118.jpg
    IMG_00000118.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 315

Looks good. Its a blast having real 4x4 isnt it.

Yes, I can tell the difference, for sure.

I think my favorite system was the auto 4x4 though. It was great for city and highway driving without ever touching anything.

Im looking forward to both the better traction of true 4x4 and the 2wd in the summer for better mileage. Oh, and this case will support the extra horsepower of my turbo when I get that project off the ground.

Love how stock it looks, im jealous as hell and cant wait to do both of mine

Quick mileage update. I'm at 13mpg city pretty consistently.
This is including outside temps of -22F. There is also startup's outside after sitting for 6 to 8 hours included in this.

That's awesome! I can hardly wait till the weather gets better and see what happens to mileage from there.

Tc

Looks great!
Smokey 2wd burnouts in the warmer weather too.

+1 on the funny when someone is happy about 13 mpg.

Looking back at that 13mpg, it is pretty funny.
My thinking was that these trucks are only rated for 14mpg city.

definitely nothing to be excited about. :) I wonder what a honda forum would have to say about my comment?

Here's my question. I've read a few threads about the 4406 installs, but do all of the 4406 TC's have the electric shift motor or do I just gotta search around for ones that have a manual shifter for it?

Here's my question. I've read a few threads about the 4406 installs, but do all of the 4406 TC's have the electric shift motor or do I just gotta search around for ones that have a manual shifter for it?

They were made both ways. You need to be looking for a manual shift 4406 case.

Has anyone figured out the transmission mount issue yet (I keep reading that this thing eats transmission mounts, probably due to it's size)?

Maybe I just haven't come across it yet, but I've read a ton.

Love the shifter boot, btw. Looks awesome!

Has anyone figured out the transmission mount issue yet (I keep reading that this thing eats transmission mounts, probably due to it's size)?

Maybe I just haven't come across it yet, but I've read a ton.

Love the shifter boot, btw. Looks awesome!

[MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION]
Yes, a mustang mount has been modified and used.

I think Tims method is the way to go.
As the stock mount gets beat up and sinks, the pinion angle changes creating vibration.

The best thing to do would be to make a new poly mount at the same height as a new factory one.

btw, while my shifter boot looked really good, it stuck out to far and would rub my leg. I changed it out for just a leather soft boot that sits tight against the shifter. This does provide more leg room.

You kept the plastic base though? Sounds good to me. I wondered how legroom would be affected by the shifter.

I have the boot under the carpet installed to make sure I have a good seal in the cabin. I don't want mice or anything like that coming in. This does not affect leg room at all.

I did keep the top piece (Have not thrown it away yet), but I would recommend against using it. When you are moving your legs around, it does limit space. If you like, I can take a pic of what I am using currently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be awesome, where did you get your new boot?

Back